Japanese - Anti-Charity

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Haystack
Veteran

Japanese - Anti-Charity

Post by Haystack »

I am doing a monthly challenge using the app Stickk.

Can anyone recommend a possible Japanese anti-charity?

Example/explanation-> https://stickk.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/art ... i-Charity-

Maybe something that still has a net benefit to society? Just brainstorming here.

(I usually donate to KIVA, Doctors without borders, Save-the-children, Second Harvest, and Kids Door).
zeroshiki
Veteran

Re: Japanese - Anti-Charity

Post by zeroshiki »

Maybe Soka Gakkai? Lotsa people have strong feelings about them.
akiaji
Regular

Post by akiaji »

NHK perhaps, or at least the companies they hire to go knocking on doors? :D
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

Soka Gakkai?
Couldn`t do it. My wife would never forgive me.
akiaji wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:22 am NHK perhaps, or at least the companies they hire to go knocking on doors? :D
NHK is a good idea. Their kids programming is great, but the rest is just...yeah.

No issues paying, huge issues with their collection model. I prefer the Canadian approach vs the Japanese/German approach.
niall24

Post by niall24 »

Honest question: what is wrong with NHK?
They got rid of that Abe fanboy director 籾井勝人 in 2017. They are so much better than the low-level crap on the private channels. They even aired reasonably objective history programs about the war in China in 1930s and Unit 731. I can't imagine any of the private channels doing that.

Regarding collection model, it's not a problem unless you wish to avoid paying, and their collectors are way more polite than in other countries.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

I'm honestly a big fan of NHK programming. As I've gotten older I've started to absolutely despise wide shows and all the newstainment stuff that infest normal channels. NHK is quite objective for the most part and just present the news as-is without the comedian or commentator dojour adding useless commentary or using VTR set to sad music or whatever.

I wish they'd just tax it normally and not have collectors though.
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

zeroshiki wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:10 am I'm honestly a big fan of NHK programming. As I've gotten older I've started to absolutely despise wide shows and all the newstainment stuff that infest normal channels. NHK is quite objective for the most part and just present the news as-is without the comedian or commentator dojour adding useless commentary or using VTR set to sad music or whatever.

I wish they'd just tax it normally and not have collectors though.
Exactly. NHK makes some excellent programming. Just account for it in the budget, and take it out of tax (like Canada), and stop this German / UK style madness. An entire economy is built around this inefficiency, and I am sure that is why it will never change.
beanhead
Sensei

Post by beanhead »

niall24 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:26 am Honest question: what is wrong with NHK?
Regarding collection model, it's not a problem unless you wish to avoid paying, and their collectors are way more polite than in other countries.
1) Fraud
https://variety.com/2005/tv/news/japan- ... 117915953/

2) Fraud / embezzlement

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... hk-869048/

The embezzlement involved at least two employees at NHK Integrated Technology Inc. claiming at least $1.8 million for fictitious orders and business trips. The employees have been fired, but no criminal charges have been announced.

3) Yakuza-style collection tactics
https://japantoday.com/category/nationa ... -doorsteps

This is completely aside from the quality of their programming or their political slant.
I pay for the damn license, and watch their news and sports occasionally, but don't have any respect for them as an organization.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Teflon
Veteran

Post by Teflon »

Any one of these groups should meet the criteria:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-nucl ... pan#Groups

I know a Japanese woman who is a member of a certain anti-nuclear power group and she is radically opposed to all forms of nuclear power and will not even consider the safer, cheaper, smaller, next generation nuclear power plants that are being proposed. I'm all for having rational discussions about the pros and cons of nuclear energy but these groups seem to operate purely on raw emotion. Hence, I would add them to your "anti-charity" list.