Best tree to plant in Backyard

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
concerned
Veteran

Best tree to plant in Backyard

Post by concerned »

Hi,
Well this is not really finance related, but I guess is retirement related, as I plan to spend some time in my back yard when I retire...
One of the trees in my backyard basically died due to the cold. The location is inland from Kobe and the temp varies from about -5 C to 32 C.
I will plant a new tree to replace the one that died, but not sure what type to plant. I guess it needs to be pretty temperature tolerant and not heavy maintenance, something birds would like. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations?
Thanks
Beaglehound
Veteran

Re: Best tree to plant in Backyard

Post by Beaglehound »

Am no expert but we have a momiji in our backyard which was there before we arrived and is thriving with minimal input from us (bit of branch pruning from time to time). Beautiful in autumn and attracts birds (and frogs…). We are a little colder than you in winter and similar in summer.
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

Several years ago we planted a couple of peach trees and now get lovely blossoms. Also have a mikan tree which gives us loads of mikan every year but it was here when we bought the house and not sure how easy / long it takes before it becomes a fruit bearing machine.
Tkydon
Sensei

Post by Tkydon »

It might be an idea to look at the trees planted in and around your neighborhood / town and choose something that you like. They will be suitable for the climate.

You could also ask for recommendations at the local home or garden center.

You could pick up seeds around the neighborhood, or pick up a sapling from the local home or garden center.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

Long ago I conveyed to my sister in law and her husband something that I had heard much longer ago in korea.

Plant a kaki/persimmon, and it's supposed to pay for raising your kid(s).

They planted one, I don't think it's paid for much of anything, but it's really big now and produces lots of fruit.

We're in Ishikawa, they grow well here, and temperatures are probably about the same as what you mention.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

I'd say our temps don't go below -2C.

We have a 50+ year-old kaki tree. Always needs pruning.

Our olive trees were going great for 3-5 years, then bugs killed the two big ones. The ones in buckets survive still.

Yama sakura has done well, now 20 years old and 8m high. Always have to cut it back as the branches hang over road. It flowers 2-3 times a year and blossoms stick around for months.

Momiji also (though has stayed at a height less than 2 meters).
Biwa has done well (about 8 years now).
Ume has done well and is pretty.
Ichijiku also good, and nice fruit.
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

TJKansai wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:39 am kaki olive Yama sakura Momiji Biwa Ume Ichijiku
Wow what a line-up. Now I want to see your garden. Reminds me that city life with a view from the concrete veranda of the concrete apartment blocks opposite has it's drawbacks. Time to reevaluate some life choices 😄🌳
concerned
Veteran

Post by concerned »

Thanks! All, great recommendations here, appreciate it.
Tokyo
Veteran

Post by Tokyo »

Our garden had several varieties of mature trees: a dogwood, 2 different types of momiji and 3 Japanese pine varieties. What I recommend really depends on your situation. But if it’s a decorative and tough tree you are after, then I also recommend momiji. In particular, the momiji with the thinner leaves as their overall shape is far more attractive than the standard momiji. Dogwoods are beautiful but they can grow enormously over time, and can be temperamental. Pines can be gorgeous if properly trimmed but it takes a pro at least an hour to shape each tree - and you pay accordingly 3 times a year.
Reminds me that city life with a view from the concrete veranda of the concrete apartment blocks opposite has it's drawbacks. Time to reevaluate some life choices
My experience has been quite the opposite. We saw our own half dozen trees plus one or two of our neighbor’s from our house. Now living in a central Tokyo manshon we look down over a few thousand trees. Better still, we can easily go and admire these incredible trees - as magnificent as any in Kyoto - and I don’t need to pay for their upkeep as I used to. No weeding or watering required either - that’s my lifestyle choice.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

adamu wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:13 am
TJKansai wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:39 am kaki olive Yama sakura Momiji Biwa Ume Ichijiku
Wow what a line-up. Now I want to see your garden. Reminds me that city life with a view from the concrete veranda of the concrete apartment blocks opposite has it's drawbacks. Time to reevaluate some life choices 😄🌳
Family land...but a 50-minute walk to a train station.