Declaring healthcare costs at the tax office (newbie questions)

KCLenny
Veteran

Declaring healthcare costs at the tax office (newbie questions)

Post by KCLenny »

Hi all, I’m new to this whole “do your tax yourself” malarkey, so the prospect of going to the tax office to go through a tree’s worth of paperwork terrifies me.

I’ve mentioned previously that my healthcare costs for both my wife and I last year (jan 1-dec 31) exceed 100,000 (yay chronic health conditions >_> ).
I know I need to go to the tax office to declare it to get a bit of a tax break but I have no idea of the process.

At the advice of someone else on here a while ago, I started a spreadsheet chronically all the doctors’ visits, with date, name of clinic, price, and headed with all my personal information like address, DOB, mynumber and health insurance number.

What is my next step?
Do I just need to turn up at a tax office one day and go through a form? Or do I have to something before going (if so, what and how)?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Also, can anyone direct me to the Kyoto tax office, as googling it is throwing up a few places and I have a feeling some of them are private and I’m having a hard time discerning them all. Sorry for sounding like a child but this is all completely new to me and quite overwhelming.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Re: Declaring healthcare costs at the tax office (newbie questions)

Post by Beaglehound »

Bear in mind that only the amount over 100k is deductible, so if your health expenses are not massively over that it may be more hassle that it’s worth.
Tkydon
Sensei

Post by Tkydon »

There are multiple levels of Tax Offices:

There are branches of the Metropolitan Tax Office for Kyoto-Fu, for the To-Do-Fu-Ken Taxes.
There are Tax Counters in the Kuyakusho for each Ward, for Ku-Shi-Cho-Son Taxes.

However, for the National Taxes, you need to go to the 税務署 for your Ward.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/%E4% ... a=!3m1!4b1
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Beaglehound wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:31 am Bear in mind that only the amount over 100k is deductible, so if your health expenses are not massively over that it may be more hassle that it’s worth.
By my calculations, I think the total is going to be around ¥155,000.
Is that worth it? I honestly don’t know. It’s likely to be similar this year, potentially higher if my wife needs a new medication (highly likely).
Tkydon wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:59 pm There are multiple levels of Tax Offices:

There are branches of the Metropolitan Tax Office for Kyoto-Fu, for the To-Do-Fu-Ken Taxes.
There are Tax Counters in the Kuyakusho for each Ward, for Ku-Shi-Cho-Son Taxes.

However, for the National Taxes, you need to go to the 税務署 for your Ward.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/%E4% ... a=!3m1!4b1
Oh! I didn’t know that! No idea what the Japanese means though. But I’ve found my ward’s tax office from that link. So thank you!
AreTheyTheLemmings?
Veteran

Post by AreTheyTheLemmings? »

You will need to submit all the receipts, so start scanning/photocopying them now.
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

If you use the official spreadsheet and submit your tax return via eTax, you neither need to submit the receipts nor go to the tax office. I started an article on the wiki but it could do with some fleshing out. https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/Medical_Expenses_Deduction.

On eTax, if you select 作成開始→印刷して提出, you can make as many draft tax returns as you like.

I believe from next year it might be possible to read in the data from Myna Portal without even needing the spreadsheet, but I'm not sure of the details.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

AreTheyTheLemmings? wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:00 am You will need to submit all the receipts, so start scanning/photocopying them now.
I need to give the office all of my receipts?
I thought I was suppose to keep them all myself?

adamu wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:28 am If you use the official spreadsheet and submit your tax return via eTax, you neither need to submit the receipts nor go to the tax office. I started an article on the wiki but it could do with some fleshing out. https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/Medical_Expenses_Deduction.

On eTax, if you select 作成開始→印刷して提出, you can make as many draft tax returns as you like.

I believe from next year it might be possible to read in the data from Myna Portal without even needing the spreadsheet, but I'm not sure of the details.
If this is easy to use I might end up trying that next time.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

KCLenny wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:55 pm
Beaglehound wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:31 am Bear in mind that only the amount over 100k is deductible, so if your health expenses are not massively over that it may be more hassle that it’s worth.
Is that worth it? I honestly don’t know. It’s likely to be similar this year, potentially higher if my wife needs a new medication (highly likely).
If it’s likely to be similar/possibly higher amounts in future years then yes, I would bite the bullet and get started.
Tkydon
Sensei

Post by Tkydon »

Beaglehound wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:03 am
KCLenny wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:55 pm
If it’s likely to be similar/possibly higher amounts in future years then yes, I would bite the bullet and get started.

If you have spent ¥155,000 in medical , then you can claim the tax back on ¥155,000 - ¥100,000 = ¥55,000

If you are in the 20% Tax Bracket, then you would get back 20% National Tax and (0.20 x 0.021 =) 0.42% Reconstruction Tax

¥55,000 / (1 - 0.2042) - ¥55,000 = ¥69,112 (Pre-Tax Value of ¥55,000) - ¥55,000 = ¥14,112

And you would then also see the reduction in 10% Residents' Taxes next period

¥55,000 / (1 - 0.1) - ¥55,000 = ¥61,111 (Pre-Tax Value of ¥55,000) - ¥55,000 = ¥6,111

So total saving of ¥20,223

If you are in the 33% Tax Bracket, then you would get back 33% National Tax and (0.33 x 0.021 =) 0.693% Reconstruction Tax

¥55,000 / (1 - 0.33693) - ¥55,000 = ¥82,947 (Pre-Tax Value of ¥55,000) - ¥55,000 = ¥27,947

And you would then also see the reduction in 10% Residents' Taxes next period

¥55,000 / (1 - 0.1) - ¥55,000 = ¥61,111 (Pre-Tax Value of ¥55,000) - ¥55,000 = ¥6,111

So total saving of ¥34,058
If you're in a higher tax bracket, then the savings increase accordingly.

If that pays for the time spent then it's worth it.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

AreTheyTheLemmings? wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:00 am You will need to submit all the receipts, so start scanning/photocopying them now.
So do I need to hand over all my physical receipts? Or are copies okay? Or do I just need to bring them to show they are legit but not actually hand over?
Or can I just copy the summaries that I get every month?