The joy of Money and Quality of Life

Tips to save money in Japan, life better for less, etc.
runmanTX
Regular

Re: The joy of Money and Quality of Life

Post by runmanTX »

An interesting post topic this is. After reading all the responses, I've realized that I don't spend a lot on entertainment. I've always been a frugal (some might say "けち" :lol: )person. I try to take the family out once a month for a nice dinner. And we celebrate special days (birthdays, anniversaries, etc.). Since my hobby is running, I don't need to spend much on this. Just strap the shoes on and I'm out the door. I used to participate in formal marathon races, trail races and sometimes ultramarathons but those days are pretty much gone due to Covid. I have enjoyed Spartan obstacle course races lately and don't mind spending a little on those.
These days I find myself more focused on investing for retirement and putting 2 girls thru university (which will start in 2022 and 2023 :shock: ).
Hayabubu
Regular

Post by Hayabubu »

jcherni wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:47 am
But I have been thinking for a while to get a car license this year (it is unnecessary if you live in Tokyo, but I want one), and then a bike license, which I have been wanting for many years now. And then buy a Harley-Davidson (if I get my promotion this year :) )
Don’t get a Harley! You’ll waste loads of money on repairs..😁
Japanese bikes are the way to go - much more reliable and cheaper repairs/parts when necessary.
Viralriver
Veteran

Post by Viralriver »

I feel like I spend quite a fair bit of money on QoL, but then again a lot of these things are hobbies I may not be able to pursue as much when I'm older.

Biggest one is skiing, I generally go 4-5 weekends a year since moving to Japan. But I invested in my own skis and boots to save on rentals (easily saved money here), buy my lift passes through Furusato Nozei so they're essentially free, and only drive rather than shinkansen to split costs between 4-6 people. What used to be a really expensive, luxurious sport is now only slightly expensive.

Next is football - this has been great for my fitness levels and is a really fun hobby and de-stresses me. Was playing 4-5x a week at 2200 yen each time, but now slowed this down to 1-2 times a week with a group of British expats I've found at only 1,100 yen each time.

Music is a massive thing for me, so have always had a Spotify premium subscription, and I pay for the family and give it to my siblings and parents back home. It's an additional ~6 GBP per month or so but gives 4 other people access which is great. Headphones/speakers is where I spend a little too much though. I have a different pair of cans for different occassions (great ANC for commuting, great wired for sitting at home, waterproof for the shower/camping) and they're all from a fairly expensive brand. Although not a monetary comparison, I find that these have all paid themselves off in terms of how much I use them, the joy I get from them, and that they've lasted so long. The wired ones I bought as a present to myself for getting my scholarship to Japan back in 2015 and still work perfectly to this day. I have my eyes on a very expensive B&O A9 as a permanent fixture in the house which I'll be gifting to myself once I get my promotion.

I have severely reduced costs for nightlife (drinking/clubbing with friends) since the pandemic hit, and I'd like to keep it that way haha.

I guess the only other thing is driving, a massive hobby of mine. But since I live in Tokyo I've taken the more frugal route of using a Times car share membership rather than having my own car.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Viralriver wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:17 am Although not a monetary comparison, I find that these have all paid themselves off in terms of how much I use them, the joy I get from them.
☝️This☝️I think that has to be the best investment we can do.
Nothing worse spending say 10,000 yen on something you use/wear once, whereas spending say 30,000 yen on something you use regularly and keep for years is a better return on investment. So in the Loooong term there is monetary comparison. If your not happy your more likely to spend more in the long term. I guess that’s why fast fashion want to keep the fast churn going, and another reason I’m still using an iPhone 6. I wouldn’t be happy with the new one as it doesn’t bring any extra “value”.
Fully understand the skiing thing though.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

I am in my 30s with my first child, but I can add something to this conversation.

1. Quality maters for clothing. I am a taller man with large feet. I need to buy pants and shoes that last as they are hard to get here. Be patient, and wait for the discounts.

2. Never drink cheap/low-quality alcohol. (happoshu/black nikka). You should not be drinking enough to need to buy the cheap stuff.

3. Hedonistic adaptation - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonic_treadmill. We all must be aware of this.