Free Money (really)

Tips to save money in Japan, life better for less, etc.
TJKansai
Veteran

Free Money (really)

Post by TJKansai »

Some cities are offering cash-back rewards if you spend money via PayPay.

I have tried to limit my payment schemes in Japan since I already have too many US cards and points to deal with. That said, this one is probably worth signing up for.

Limited of course, but Kasai city is giving 5,000 back on 25,000 in purchases, and my friend said he would be able to do that twice.

https://biribiri7.com/kasai_paypay/

Keep your eyes open. I am sure this is happening all over.
Tokyo
Veteran

Re: Free Money (really)

Post by Tokyo »

Yes, some wards in Tokyo are doing something similar. You apply for ¥12,000 of coupons (12 x ¥1,000) for which you pick at a post office for ¥10,000. Although you are limited to spending in that ward and must use within about 6 months, it’s easy to use the coupons at restaurants, grocery stores or department stores. Free money! Support your community! :D
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

Tokyo wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:18 pm Yes, some wards in Tokyo are doing something similar. You apply for ¥12,000 of coupons (12 x ¥1,000) for which you pick at a post office for ¥10,000. Although you are limited to spending in that ward and must use within about 6 months, it’s easy to use the coupons at restaurants, grocery stores or department stores. Free money! Support your community! :D
My ward had a similar system, independent of paypay.

The size of the discount was dealt out by lottery, (with minimum savings guaranteed).

Great idea, lots of fun, cumbersome third-party apps that requires a login each time though... :roll: The elderly need these advantages but are effectively locked out.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

I’m in Kyoto, can any point me in the direction of such a campaign here please? Can never find these things by myself.
Hayabubu
Regular

Post by Hayabubu »

KCLenny wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:24 am I’m in Kyoto, can any point me in the direction of such a campaign here please? Can never find these things by myself.
I found this website. It looks like Kyoto’s local campaigns have finished for now - Kameoka and Kyotamba I think had campaigns during last year. However, we should be able to see if and when they start up again.

https://paypay.ne.jp/event/support-local/
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Hayabubu wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:06 am
KCLenny wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:24 am I’m in Kyoto, can any point me in the direction of such a campaign here please? Can never find these things by myself.
I found this website. It looks like Kyoto’s local campaigns have finished for now - Kameoka and Kyotamba I think had campaigns during last year. However, we should be able to see if and when they start up again.

https://paypay.ne.jp/event/support-local/
Typical.
Thanks anyway