My Number Card expiry

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
TBS

My Number Card expiry

Post by TBS »

Word of caution about expiry of My Number Cards. The expiry date of My Number Cards for foreign residents on normal visas is the same as the expiry date of your residents card (在留カード). A couple of months before this date you may receive a letter asking you to upload a new photo & renew your My Number Card.

Don't do this. The correct thing to do is to head down to the city hall and extend your existing My Number Card. The city hall then just print a new expiry date on the existing card.

My number cards can be used until your 10th birthday following first issue if you are over 20, and 5th following birthday for under 20s, as long as you keep extending it.

The exception to this is permanent residents and those on Class 2 Highly Skilled Professional visas. The My Number Card expiry date should then be decoupled from your 在留カード expiry date, i.e. 10 years for the My Number Card even if your 在留カード is only 7 years. After 10 years you can renew the My Number Card can update the photo as normal without charge.

More info here: https://en.an-japan.com/2020/04/09/my-number-extension/
adamu
Sage

Re: My Number Card expiry

Post by adamu »

Would be good info for https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/My_Number 8-)
pfdsa
Veteran

Post by pfdsa »

Had this problem last week.
Was trying to print some juminhyo in the conbini using the my number card, but it kept showing an error. Upon closer look, noticed that the card had expired in June of 2021 (same date as the resident card). Went to the municipal hall to renew it, but since it was already expired, was told that I had to pay 1000 yen (if I remember correctly) to get a new card.
Since will have to renew my visa again in June, just kept the expired card and will renew it after having the visa renewed.
By the way, didnt receive any letter reminding me to renew it, so its a good idea to check yours.
TBS

Post by TBS »

pfdsa wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:35 am Had this problem last week.
Was trying to print some juminhyo in the conbini using the my number card, but it kept showing an error. Upon closer look, noticed that the card had expired in June of 2021 (same date as the resident card). Went to the municipal hall to renew it, but since it was already expired, was told that I had to pay 1000 yen (if I remember correctly) to get a new card.
Since will have to renew my visa again in June, just kept the expired card and will renew it after having the visa renewed.
By the way, didnt receive any letter reminding me to renew it, so its a good idea to check yours.
Yes, it is not forgiving system at all is it! When they expire they cannot be renewed at all & they charge for a new one. :evil:

In my case I got a letter and I did the renewal online as it requested. When I got to the city hall this morning, the new card was ready and waiting there for me, but they said it'll cost 1000 yen for me to get it. They said the other option is to extend the existing one for free, which I did but it took them an extra hour to process everything. :roll:

The letter mentions nowhere that extending is the correct thing to do.
runmanTX
Regular

Post by runmanTX »

Just had a quick check of my card. I noticed that the expiration date printed is when I turn 62 years old. Hmmm, coincidence??
I am, however, on a PR status so not really related to "expiring cards".
TBS

Post by TBS »

runmanTX wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:51 am Just had a quick check of my card. I noticed that the expiration date printed is when I turn 62 years old. Hmmm, coincidence??
Yes that makes sense. As a PR that expiration date should be your 10th birthday following the date when the card was first issued.

The issue dates are not printed on My Number Cards, but if you can remember when it was first issued you can check that everything tallies up.
runmanTX
Regular

Post by runmanTX »

TBS wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:05 am
runmanTX wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:51 am Just had a quick check of my card. I noticed that the expiration date printed is when I turn 62 years old. Hmmm, coincidence??
Yes that makes sense. As a PR that expiration date should be your 10th birthday following the date when the card was first issued.

The issue dates are not printed on My Number Cards, but if you can remember when it was first issued you can check that everything tallies up.
Ah yes. That makes sense. Probably had my card for a couple of years so I guess in 10 years time it will expire.
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

There is a further point to note on this.

In some circumstances, the expiry date of the passwords/PIN numbers won't match the expiry date of the card.

My MyNumber card initially had an expiry date of January 2024 when my visa ran out. I then got permanent residency and the expiry date of the card was extended to my 10th birthday after the card was issued, as discussed above. However, the lady at the city office told me that my passwords will expire at the point of the original expiry in January 2024 so I would have to go back in at that point and reset them.

Worth noting in case it applies to you.
kizuki
Regular

Post by kizuki »

TBS wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:08 am The exception to this is permanent residents and those on Class 2 Highly Skilled Professional visas. The My Number Card expiry date should then be decoupled from your 在留カード expiry date, i.e. 10 years for the My Number Card even if your 在留カード is only 7 years. After 10 years you can renew the My Number Card can update the photo as normal without charge.

More info here: https://en.an-japan.com/2020/04/09/my-number-extension/
A point to note is that for PRs, although the My Number card will have a 10 year validity, the PINs/Passwords associated with the chip on the card have validity only of 5 years (not sure if it is exactly 5 years by date or 5 years based on a calendar cycle using birthday / year-end). So even though the card itself is valid, if you want to use for conbini use or for submitting tax etc. you need to renew the passwords at the end of 5 years.
TBS

Post by TBS »

kizuki wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:38 am A point to note is that for PRs, although the My Number card will have a 10 year validity, the PINs/Passwords associated with the chip on the card have validity only of 5 years (not sure if it is exactly 5 years by date or 5 years based on a calendar cycle using birthday / year-end). So even though the card itself is valid, if you want to use for conbini use or for submitting tax etc. you need to renew the passwords at the end of 5 years.
Gareth wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:24 pm There is a further point to note on this.

In some circumstances, the expiry date of the passwords/PIN numbers won't match the expiry date of the card.

My MyNumber card initially had an expiry date of January 2024 when my visa ran out. I then got permanent residency and the expiry date of the card was extended to my 10th birthday after the card was issued, as discussed above. However, the lady at the city office told me that my passwords will expire at the point of the original expiry in January 2024 so I would have to go back in at that point and reset them.

Worth noting in case it applies to you.
Thanks, yes hadn't appreciated that. For PRs the 電子証明書 component has an expiry of 5th birthday from first issue date of a new card, or 6th birthday in the case of a renewal (because the renewal takes place in the 3 months window prior to expiry). https://www.jpki.go.jp/procedure/period.html