Current market climate

Viralriver
Veteran

Re: Current market climate

Post by Viralriver »

Interesting that no one noticed haha. I am somewhat active here where most people are passive investors, and then also my company's Slack investing channel where pretty much everyone has 100% of their savings in either crypto or in options/futures. It's definitely two completely viewpoints that's for sure :P .
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

I noticed this a few weeks ago, in fact I felt as though I was seeing bubbles everywhere, stocks high, house prices high, free money bubbles, China’s property problem, (can’t remember the company) inflation going through the roof, and everyone saying it’s fine and it’ll continue.
Now it seems interest rates are going up too.
Feels like the fish from finding Nemo.
Bubbles. bubbles, bubbles.

I’ll just keep drip feeding in.
But I was beginning to compare this to the roaring 20s.
Just after the war, recovered from a pandemic then the good times will continue then…

Seems similar to today,
End of Afghan war, a pandemic recovery, good times are back…… maybe a bubble now but I think hard times are coming…… all this debt must be clawed back.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
Viralriver
Veteran

Post by Viralriver »

Bubblegun wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:06 am I noticed this a few weeks ago, in fact I felt as though I was seeing bubbles everywhere, stocks high, house prices high, free money bubbles, China’s property problem, (can’t remember the company) inflation going through the roof, and everyone saying it’s fine and it’ll continue.

Just after the war, recovered from a pandemic then the good times will continue then…

Seems similar to today,
End of Afghan war, a pandemic recovery, good times are back…… maybe a bubble now but I think hard times are coming…… all this debt must be clawed back.
Yeah. I refrained from putting too much money into the market because a collapse/adjustment was very much on the tables for the last few months. Unfortunately things came up and I ended up spending a lot of cash to go back to the UK and now I don't have as much cash as I want to throw into this haha. Being the first 'crash' I've properly witnessed, it's a little difficult knowing exactly how to play it. My initial idea was to DCA my pot of cash into investments which made sense (all country index, MSFT, NVDA etc). What I didn't realise was it would be difficult to know how to spread the investments, and I'm likely going to use my full cash allotment before even a week is up, and who knows if we're anywhere near 'the bottom'. Oh well, it's been a good learning exercise.

By the way, I think the Chinese company you're referring to is Evergrande.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Viralriver wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:04 am
Bubblegun wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:06 am I noticed this a few weeks ago, in fact I felt as though I was seeing bubbles everywhere, stocks high, house prices high, free money bubbles, China’s property problem, (can’t remember the company) inflation going through the roof, and everyone saying it’s fine and it’ll continue.

Seems similar to today,
Yeah. I refrained from putting too much money into the market because a collapse/adjustment was very much on the tables for the last few months. Unfortunately things came up and I ended up spending a lot of cash to go back to the UK and now I don't have as much cash as I want to throw into this haha. Being the first 'crash' I've properly witnessed, it's a little difficult knowing exactly how to play it. My initial idea was to DCA my pot of cash into investments which made sense (all country index, MSFT, NVDA etc). What I didn't realise was it would be difficult to know how to spread the investments, and I'm likely going to use my full cash allotment before even a week is up, and who knows if we're anywhere near 'the bottom'. Oh well, it's been a good learning exercise.

By the way, I think the Chinese company you're referring to is Evergrande.
Well I suppose when the company wants to inflate the stock it just needs to buy it’s own stock. I mean, they haven’t made any more product, they haven’t sold more, and they haven’t made more profit. Howe ever when a CEOs pay is linked to the share price, surely they are motivated more by just inflating the stock price rather than,selling more product…etc etc, then the ceo gets that massive bonus, not to mention cash in their own stock options. Tesla seems a good example.
But now that the bubble has burst, would t it have been better to say have the dividend over the long run?
Viralriver
Veteran

Post by Viralriver »

If I recall correctly, Ben invests in dividend-yielding stocks, so people definitely go down that route. I for one know that I'd probably reinvest those dividends right back into the same security so it makes no sense for me to actively seek ones which pay out. Each to their own though. I know there are some Japanese companies that give gifts for buying enough of their shares, so there's also that!
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

Mirei wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:07 pm Pardon my ignorance, but how do I lump sum a tsumitateNISA?
Somehow I couldn't find it and still restricted to the 33k monthly option. Couldn't set it as a bonus payment either.
The workaround is to use the bonus option. Not sure why you couldn't see it.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Mirei wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:07 pm Pardon my ignorance, but how do I lump sum a tsumitateNISA?
Somehow I couldn't find it and still restricted to the 33k monthly option. Couldn't set it as a bonus payment either.
As a side question, would you think All Country will always generally be the safest path in the long run for Tokutei account, although it seems always down since the past few months?
I just did this in December.
Restart a separate fund,(It could the same fund)
Set the monthly payment to 100 yen.
Set the bonus you want to pay, and what months.

Then order the fund. So it turns out that I have two emaxi funds, one for the monthly Credit card payment
The second for the 100 yen and bonus.
You can’t amend the one fund.