Current market climate

Viralriver
Veteran

Current market climate

Post by Viralriver »

Hey all, now we seem to be officially in a market correction, I was wondering what people here have been doing with their portfolios?

I for one am in relatively high-risk investments so seen much of my non-cash portfolio take a pretty steep fall in the last few weeks (par for the course, I guess). I hadn't yet put any cash into my NISA (I _was_ going to be putting the full 1.2m in on Jan 1st but luckily my laziness paid off somewhat).

I got paid today so decided to do the following:

400k to bitFlyer -> I will purchase 60% BTC / 40% ETH gradually over the next few days to DCA down (my average buy in is fairly high compared to current values).

600k to Rakuten Securities -> I'm purchasing 50k worth of our favourite All Country fund in my NISA every couple of days until I've hit ~400k. I'll probably do something similar next month. It's not too HoTW but I can't seem to find a daily tsumitate option unfortunately, otherwise I'd go down that route. The remaining ~200k I'll put into the individual stocks I own, which have all plumetted :) .

Essentially DCAing down on most of my portfolio, not trying to time the market.

But yes, curious to know what everyone else is doing!
Andy.
Regular

Re: Current market climate

Post by Andy. »

Having DCA'd in 2020 and 2021 in both my wife's NISA and mine (all in eMaxis All Country), I decided not to repeat the same mistake this time (market just kept going up, so ended up paying more for everything), so lumped it all in straight away at the start of January - whoops! I still have some of the kids' Junior NISA allotment remaining, so I'm currently doing DCA with that (around 50k every couple of days). Like you, I'm getting hammered in the riskier stuff (eMaxis Neo autonomous vehicles) I own, but just going to keep it and hope it goes back up eventually.

Cheers,
Andy
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Viralriver wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:50 am we seem to be officially in a market correction
Hadn't really noticed, been a bit busy this month ;)

Not planning to do anything immediately, although I will be simplifying our portfolio going forward with a view to making it more user friendly in retirement.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
eyeswideshut
Veteran

Post by eyeswideshut »

Global markets are down around 10 percent or so but really it just takes us back to where we were in October so it is hard to get too enthused about buying the dip at this point.
pfdsa
Veteran

Post by pfdsa »

Andy. wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:19 am ...so lumped it all in straight away at the start of January - whoops!...
Just sum lumped my tsumitate Nisa in January too :lol:

Wasn`t even aware of the market drop before seeing this thread.
beanhead
Sensei

Post by beanhead »

Yeah, my regular NISA is also down this year since I maxed it out. 7man as of today.
Oh well, I didn't get too excited last year when it was going great guns, so no reason to cry yet.

I am putting a little bit regularly into the Emerging Markets fund and also buying the occasional 'solid' Japanese stock. I had been looking at Aeon for a while and it looked like a bargain the other day. It is up 6% since I bought it, so I will focus on that rather than the S&P500 and All-Country numbers :)
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Butterball
Regular

Post by Butterball »

Nothing. I also maxed out my NISA at the beginning of January so it’s down a bit but I’m not worried. The market correction has been pretty mild, so no need to rebalance anything right now. If the market continues to drop I’ll throw a bit more cash into the usual index funds to rebalance (although I suspect we’ll be back to all-time highs within a month or two). As usual.
Mirei

Post by Mirei »

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I lump sum a tsumitateNISA?
Somehow I couldn't find it and still restricted to the 33k monthly option. Couldn't set it as a bonus payment either.
As a side question, would you think All Country will always generally be the safest path in the long run for Tokutei account, although it seems always down since the past few months?
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

Mirei wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:07 pm Pardon my ignorance, but how do I lump sum a tsumitateNISA?
Somehow I couldn't find it and still restricted to the 33k monthly option. Couldn't set it as a bonus payment either.
As a side question, would you think All Country will always generally be the safest path in the long run for Tokutei account, although it seems always down since the past few months?
The entire market has been down. And All Country is the entire market.

What broker do you use? You need to set a bonus, and also make sure you still have a few 100 yen withdrawing each month. There seems to be a few guides in this forum so I suggest using the search.
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

Viralriver wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:50 am Hey all, now we seem to be officially in a market correction, I was wondering what people here have been doing with their portfolios?

I for one am in relatively high-risk investments so seen much of my non-cash portfolio take a pretty steep fall in the last few weeks (par for the course, I guess). I hadn't yet put any cash into my NISA (I _was_ going to be putting the full 1.2m in on Jan 1st but luckily my laziness paid off somewhat).

I got paid today so decided to do the following:

400k to bitFlyer -> I will purchase 60% BTC / 40% ETH gradually over the next few days to DCA down (my average buy in is fairly high compared to current values).

600k to Rakuten Securities -> I'm purchasing 50k worth of our favourite All Country fund in my NISA every couple of days until I've hit ~400k. I'll probably do something similar next month. It's not too HoTW but I can't seem to find a daily tsumitate option unfortunately, otherwise I'd go down that route. The remaining ~200k I'll put into the individual stocks I own, which have all plumetted :) .

Essentially DCAing down on most of my portfolio, not trying to time the market.

But yes, curious to know what everyone else is doing!
Small changes. I laterally traded all my bitcoin for Etherium and bought a bit more. (only 1-2% of my holdings).

I sold my small REIT fund. Reducing my portfolio to

2 World market funds (90%)
2 American ETFs and 1 Cryoto Coin (10%).

When I retire, I can now sell the last 3 and move into a classic 2 fund portfolio that will be a breeze to manage. I want things to be easy to manage if something happens to me.