Rakuten Bank 自動スイープ

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Rakuten Bank 自動スイープ

Post by RetireJapan »

Still getting to know my Rakuten Bank account.

What is this auto-sweep thing (自動スイープ)? Is it automatically taking any yen cash from my Rakuten Securities account and moving it to the Bank?

Lots of dividends this month, so I've been getting a notification email pretty much every day.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
TBS

Re: Rakuten Bank 自動スイープ

Post by TBS »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:31 am What is this auto-sweep thing (自動スイープ)? Is it automatically taking any yen cash from my Rakuten Securities account and moving it to the Bank?
Yes, exactly this. It moves any unused cash in your Securities into the Bank account at the end of each day.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

TBS wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:39 am Yes, exactly this. It moves any unused cash in your Securities into the Bank account at the end of each day.
Huh. Don't remember turning on that setting! No big deal I guess, as it is easy to move the money back if I need to.

Guess it would be useful later on if we were living off dividends or something like that :)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
TBS

Post by TBS »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:47 am Huh. Don't remember turning on that setting! No big deal I guess, as it is easy to move the money back if I need to.

Guess it would be useful later on if we were living off dividends or something like that :)
Neither did I IIRC. And it was a big shock to login to Securities once and find my balance of X万 yen was no longer there :lol:
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

Rakuten Securities can also take the money directly out of your Rakuten Bank account, so there's no need to actually keep a balance in the securities account. This has the benefit that you can earn... 0.1%... interest on the cash balance.