Are there reasons why I shouldn't maintain Permanent Residency status?

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Foremost
Regular

Re: Are there reasons why I shouldn't maintain Permanent Residency status?

Post by Foremost »

zeroshiki wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:14 am I assume they have their residency in the wife's parents' address. Its what a lot of people do.
Yes, that is correct.

I just checked my residence card and there is nothing written on the back.

The old Alien Registration Card was issued in 2008 and expired 2015.
Foremost
Regular

Post by Foremost »

Good day. Wanted to follow-up on this thread after getting some professional input and see if anyone here as anything to add.

First, I spoke with a lawyer through the 中野区国際交流協会 who assured me there should be no problem renewing my zairyu card and maintaining PR status (even though I don't plan to be physically present in Japan) so long as I regularly renew my reentry permit (every five years). In essence, she confirmed that it's legally possible to continue doing what I've been doing for more than 10 years.

Second, I had some email communication with a certified Japanese tax account specializing in issues related to cross-border taxation who suggested my only Japan tax liability is for Japan-based assets (which at present is nothing apart from future nenkin disbursements). He further cautioned that PR status could be one factor (but not the sole condition) for determining estate tax liability on non-Japanese assets. I would guess the tax office hasn't seen too many people with PR not living in Japan for an extended period so there may be little precedent.
AustinJapan
Regular

Post by AustinJapan »

For Aussies, visa status affects inheritance tax liability
https://atlaswealth.com/news/death-taxe ... -in-japan/
Foremost
Regular

Post by Foremost »

Thanks for posting that Austin.

Anyone have links to the changes referred to here?
The Japan government recently made some amendments earlier in the year on how it treats long term foreign residents.