Permanent Portfolio

concerned
Veteran

Permanent Portfolio

Post by concerned »

Hi
Just wondering is anyone using the Permanent Portfolio by Harry Browne? This would be composed of the following:

25% Cash
25% Gold
25% Stocks
25% Bonds

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answer ... tfolio.asp

The above mentions the following: "Today, many analysts agree that Browne's permanent portfolio relied too heavily on metals and T-bills and underestimated the growth potential of equities and bonds. "

Considering Stocks and Bonds have had a good run in the last number of years, could this be a better portfolio to use going forward?
jcc
Veteran

Re: Permanent Portfolio

Post by jcc »

It would be a very low risk low return portfolio. I feel like commenting more on it mostly amounts to speculation but I'll give my opinion and you do what you want with it.

If you truly believe that we're about to go over the edge again soon, go for it. But if the market keeps going up you'll see very little. If/when the market does go down you would probably want to shift a lot of the safe stuff into stocks to get a good chunk of the recovery.

Coursera offers a free(or cheap if you get the certification) on financial markets that might be of interest.
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

concerned wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:11 amConsidering Stocks and Bonds have had a good run in the last number of years, could this be a better portfolio to use going forward?
I think the point of "permanent" is that it's designed for use without considering what is happening.
concerned
Veteran

Post by concerned »

jcc wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:07 pm It would be a very low risk low return portfolio. I feel like commenting more on it mostly amounts to speculation but I'll give my opinion and you do what you want with it.
Coursera offers a free(or cheap if you get the certification) on financial markets that might be of interest.
Thanks Jcc for the comment, indeed low risk is low return as you say.
Cheers for the info on Coursera
concerned
Veteran

Post by concerned »

adamu wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:06 am
concerned wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:11 amConsidering Stocks and Bonds have had a good run in the last number of years, could this be a better portfolio to use going forward?
I think the point of "permanent" is that it's designed for use without considering what is happening.
Cheers Adamu, yes indeed its designed to be held no matter what. I may just do two portfolios using two brokers, one with this permanent portfolio for money that I may need medium term, and then a standard stock/bond portfolio with another broker which I am willing to have a higher degree of risk with