Mynaportal (My Number)

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Moggy_the_cat

Mynaportal (My Number)

Post by Moggy_the_cat »

Hi all,

I was wondering what everyone's opinion on Mynaportal was. Is it worth all the hassle? Do you actually save time/money? Do you print your 住民票 at a convenience store?

In order to have all the "benefits" of the My Number portal, you must have an IC card reader or install an app on your smartphone in order to sign up.
Since my Android smartphone is not on the supported devices list, I cannot install the required app (which BTW is not listed publicly on Google play for some reason). So, should I buy an IC card reader? Which one do you people recommend/have?

Doing a quick search, the cheapest I could find online was a Sony one (model RC-S380, ¥2,600).

Cheers!

P.S.: If this is not the appropriate section, feel free to move to the correct one.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Mynaportal (My Number)

Post by RetireJapan »

I had the same problem, tried to log in, it told me to do it via smartphone app, tried to download the app, my phone is not supported.

Kind of gave up at that point.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

To be honest, the app is hot garbage anyway. Can barely do anything through it. Most of the options just link you to a webpage anyway.
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

I'm not sure what to think about the fact that furusato nozei one stop system requires sending a paper form and a copy of the my number card for each donation. What happened to the digital certificate? 🤔 Maybe they'll get it digitised in a few years time...
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

I have downloaded the app and have gone through the process to link my health insurance card to my MyNumber card.

Went to the doctors this morning and then the chemist. I asked both if they wanted to see my MyNumber card or my health insurance card. Both wanted the health insurance card despite the chemist having a MyNumber card reader on the counter.

So I still don’t understand it all yet!
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

adamu wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:41 pm I'm not sure what to think about the fact that furusato nozei one stop system requires sending a paper form and a copy of the my number card for each donation. What happened to the digital certificate? 🤔 Maybe they'll get it digitised in a few years time...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQGSuxjWLbY

2:40 mark there is a slide showing the expected timeline to add new features. Furusato is mentioned as this year. But now I wonder if it's a case of whoever you buy from registering to use a service that leverages the myna API. (FYI, that video is focussed on people doing the actual tax return.)

Oh, and the only way that video could feel more nostalgic is if you watched it on a CRT wheeled in on a trolly whilst sat crossed legged on a hardwood floor in a large drafty room.

Looks life insurance was last year, and in line with the plan on that video, earthquake insurance is starting from this year. (Actually this month assumedly for nenmatsu chousei.)
This is a list of insurance firms and when they came online.
https://www.nta.go.jp/taxes/tetsuzuki/m ... o/list.htm

I was interested in registering my earthquake insurance and my agent is listed but can't find anything on my hagaki about that.
I got the hagaki last month.

The future timeline to possibly include social care payments and income statements means tax reporting for the average person could be massively simplified.

@Mogg_the_cat
It terms of if it's worth it and getting an IC reader. For nenmatsu chousei I doubt it. But I filled my tax return from my mobile phone last year and frankly I was impressed. Just followed the instructions on the screen and be guided through. I'd say I definitely saved time.
(I had planned to use a PC but the browser requirements are so arduous even Russian hackers might think twice!)

In terms of just getting the card, I've not needed to get anything printed at a convenience store but I can see that being useful for a younger person establishing themselves in the world. It's also very useful as a photo ID but probably for locals without a driving license/passport. Because unlike us lucky foreign residents, they don't have the advantage of being forced to carry personal identification with them at all times.

@gareth
I think the IC readers you saw were for people that were NOT carrying their health insurance card but wanted to use their mynumber card instead. Assuming they'd registered it! That's a thing apparently.
https://www.city.yokohama.lg.jp/kurashi ... 02103.html
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be an approaching train.”
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

Turns out my phone can read the My Number card so I gave it a scan. Was pretty surprised and impressed when it started churning out my salary and list of household residents!

Now I'm thinking I need to pick a more secure PIN 😅
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

Latest news is that the government wants to give out 15k extra MynaPoints :o :o :o

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/pickup/6409329

Conditions:
- Signing up for MynaPoints 5000
- Use MyNumber Card for Health Insurance 7500
- Link your bank account to MyNumber Card 7500

Grand total of 20,000 points for people who have never used MyNumber. This is pretty great. Remember that MynaPoints can be anything you want. Rakuten Points, Paypay, LinePay, Credit Card points etc.
beanhead
Sensei

Post by beanhead »

zeroshiki wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:46 am Latest news is that the government wants to give out 15k extra MynaPoints :o :o :o

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/pickup/6409329

Conditions:
- Signing up for MynaPoints 5000
- Use MyNumber Card for Health Insurance 7500
- Link your bank account to MyNumber Card 7500

Grand total of 20,000 points for people who have never used MyNumber. This is pretty great. Remember that MynaPoints can be anything you want. Rakuten Points, Paypay, LinePay, Credit Card points etc.
This may finally be the kick I needed.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

beanhead wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:22 am This may finally be the kick I needed.
I got mine earlier in the year, because I can no longer use the paper card (address changed). It took forever, but the procedure is pretty smooth.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)