Rakuten Securities - Adding spaces to your name / Register Japan Post Bank account

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
pfdsa
Veteran

Rakuten Securities - Adding spaces to your name / Register Japan Post Bank account

Post by pfdsa »

First of all, I know that this topic has been discussed many times, but the information is kind of scattered and I'm having an hard time using the search option (error saying I'm using too common words), so forgive me.

My Rakuten Securities and Rakuten Credit Card have no spaces in both my family name (3 words) and first name (2 words), while they should have 2 spaces in the family name and 1 space in the first name. For example, my family name is "A New Topic" and my first name is "Retire Japan" and is registered with the correct spaces in my zairyuu card and all my bank accounts.

However, the only way I managed to create a Rakuten Securities and Rakuten Credit Card was to eliminate the spaces (due to the limit of characters), so it is registered like this: "ANEWTOPIC" "RETIREJAPAN". Same goes for the kana name. Beautiful.

Now, I tried to connect my Tsumitate Nisa to my Japan Post Bank account (Yuucho), which has the correct spaces, and finally start it rolling. They sent me an e-mail today saying there was an error when trying to link rakuten securities and japan post bank account, possibly due to the name.

My question is, what's the sequence/method to add the spaces to my name?
Should I first call rakuten securities and then rakuten card and tell them to add the spaces? Should I call rakuten card first?

Thank you in advance! Who would knew that having a name made of 5 words would give me so many headaches.

UPDATE: It was solved.
Finally managed to solve the name problem and link my tsumitate NISA with the JP bank account.

The process was like this:
-Since my name is quite long, there was no way to do correctly fill it on the internet form. Called Rakuten Securities and they sent me a paper form, which I filled with the correct name and spaces, in alphabet and katakana. In addition to the real name, had to choose a shorter version that is used in mail correspondence and on some parts of the rakuten securities website.
-After they fixed my name, tried to link my tsumitate NISA with my JP bank account. However, when I tried to link the accounts, rakuten would send the application to JP bank account using my name's short version, which was denied by JP bank since it's different from the name registered on my bank account.
-Called JP bank account and explained them the situation. Was told to register my bank account on "Yuucho direct", which I did. Make sure of taking a screenshot/write down your client number because they don't send it by e-mail and there's no way to check it later.
-Finally, went to rakuten securities and this time linked my bank account using the option that takes you to the yuucho direct website.
In the next day my application was finally aproved :D
Last edited by pfdsa on Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Established
Veteran

Re: Rakuten Securities - Adding spaces to your name

Post by Established »

pfdsa wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:42 am First of all, I know that this topic has been discussed many times, but the information is kind of scattered and I'm having an hard time using the search option (error saying I'm using too common words), so forgive me.

My Rakuten Securities and Rakuten Credit Card have no spaces in both my family name (3 words) and first name (2 words), while they should have 2 spaces in the family name and 1 space in the first name. For example, my family name is "A New Topic" and my first name is "Retire Japan" and is registered with the correct spaces in my zairyuu card and all my bank accounts.

However, the only way I managed to create a Rakuten Securities and Rakuten Credit Card was to eliminate the spaces (due to the limit of characters), so it is registered like this: "ANEWTOPIC" "RETIREJAPAN". Same goes for the kana name. Beautiful.

Now, I tried to connect my Tsumitate Nisa to my Japan Post Bank account (Yuucho), which has the correct spaces, and finally start it rolling. They sent me an e-mail today saying there was an error when trying to link rakuten securities and japan post bank account, possibly due to the name.

My question is, what's the sequence/method to add the spaces to my name?
Should I first call rakuten securities and then rakuten card and tell them to add the spaces? Should I call rakuten card first?

Thank you in advance, who would knew that having a name made of 5 words would give me so many headaches.
Speaking from personal experience:

I was told

A. Rakuten card does not have the ability to change your name.
B. Rakuten Securities can change your name.

It would be best to get Rakuten securities to match your name as it appears on your bank book/account. Getting the CC to match is less of a priority.
pfdsa
Veteran

Post by pfdsa »

Thank you for the answer!
Will call Rakuten Securities today and explain the situation to them.
pfdsa
Veteran

Post by pfdsa »

So, managed to get the spaces on my name, but since it is a long name, they say I have to establish a shorter name for mail correspondence (宛名), which I did.
However, when I try to connect the rakuten securities to my japan post bank account, the application goes through and the next day I receive yet again an e-mail saying there was an error with the name.

Anyone else had this kind of problem with japan post bank or any other bank?
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

pfdsa wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:51 am So, managed to get the spaces on my name, but since it is a long name, they say I have to establish a shorter name for mail correspondence (宛名), which I did.
However, when I try to connect the rakuten securities to my japan post bank account, the application goes through and the next day I receive yet again an e-mail saying there was an error with the name.

Is your name on Rakuten Securities exactly the same as the name on JP Post? The easiest thing to do is tell Rakuten Securities how your name is written on your bank account exactly. Alternatively, open a Rakuten Bank account for the synergy and so you can make sure the name matches.
pfdsa
Veteran

Post by pfdsa »

zeroshiki wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:26 am
pfdsa wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:51 am So, managed to get the spaces on my name, but since it is a long name, they say I have to establish a shorter name for mail correspondence (宛名), which I did.

Is your name on Rakuten Securities exactly the same as the name on JP Post? The easiest thing to do is tell Rakuten Securities how your name is written on your bank account exactly. Alternatively, open a Rakuten Bank account for the synergy and so you can make sure the name matches.
Applied to Rakuten Bank three times and failed them all, so that's why I'm trying to use JP post. Will try your suggestion and keep this post updated in case someone else has the same problem someday.
Let's hope that I manage to get the NISA rolling before this year ends... :lol:
pfdsa
Veteran

Re: Rakuten Securities - Adding spaces to your name / Register Japan Post Bank account

Post by pfdsa »

Finally managed to solve the name problem and link my tsumitate NISA with the JP bank account.

The process was like this:
-Since my name is quite long, there was no way to do correctly fill it on the internet form. Called Rakuten Securities and they sent me a paper form, which I filled with the correct name and spaces, in alphabet and katakana. In addition to the real name, had to choose a shorter version that is used in mail correspondence and on some parts of the rakuten securities website.
-After they fixed my name, tried to link my tsumitate NISA with my JP bank account. However, when I tried to link the accounts, rakuten would send the application to JP bank account using my name's short version, which was denied by JP bank since it's different from the name registered on my bank account.
-Called JP bank account and explained them the situation. Was told to register my bank account on "Yuucho direct", which I did. Make sure of taking a screenshot/write down your client number because they don't send it by e-mail and there's no way to check it later.
-Finally, went to rakuten securities and this time linked my bank account using the option that takes you to the yuucho direct website.
In the next day my application was finally aproved :D
Let's hope that my first nisa payment goes through on September.
tokyolights

Re: Rakuten Securities - Adding spaces to your name / Register Japan Post Bank account

Post by tokyolights »

Can confirm that Yuucho Direct works even if names don't exactly match, I was in the same situation. Didn't have to deal with any documents thankfully.

On a similar note, I wanted to connect my 楽天会員 with 楽天証券 to get the SPU points, and that failed because of name mismatch too. Turns out, you just need your フリガナ to match, the spaces in your name apparently don't matter. I now have 1% extra cashback on 楽天市場, yay!
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

The spaces definitely matter for Rakuten Card - Rakuten Securities.

Rakuten Bank -> Rakuten Securities doesn't matter because it seems like Bank ignores spaces. Card and Securities don't so you will have an issue there eventually.