Changing rakuten credit card name.

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
KCLenny
Veteran

Changing rakuten credit card name.

Post by KCLenny »

I know this has probably been asked before but I honestly can’t find any consistent information.
I have a rakuten credit card that doesn’t have my middle name.
My rakuten bank account and my rakuten securities account DOES have my middle name.
I can’t change my name on those accounts because my zairyu card and mynumber card both have my middle name on.

On the credit card site it says I can change my name. But when I click the link to go to the page it says I can’t. My Japanese friend called them up and asked them, and they said that I can’t change my name. Even though it literally says I can on their website.

So what’s the deal, can I or can’t I?
And if I can, how do I do it?
Any advice is much appreciated.
Established
Veteran

Re: Changing rakuten credit card name.

Post by Established »

KCLenny wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:50 am I know this has probably been asked before but I honestly can’t find any consistent information.
My rakuten bank account and my rakuten securities account DOES have my middle name.
I can’t change my name on those accounts because my zairyu card and mynumber card both have my middle name on.

On the credit card site it says I can change my name. But when I click the link to go to the page it says I can’t. My Japanese friend called them up and asked them, and they said that I can’t change my name. Even though it literally says I can on their website.

Rakuten Securities can change your name to match your credit card account. Rakuten credit card cannot change your name.

If you call the English support for Rakuten Credit Card they can contact Rakuten Securities on your behalf to facilitate this. The best advice here is squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I cannot comment on Rakuten Bank.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Established wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:42 am
KCLenny wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:50 am I know this has probably been asked before but I honestly can’t find any consistent information.

Rakuten Securities can change your name to match your credit card account. Rakuten credit card cannot change your name.

If you call the English support for Rakuten Credit Card they can contact Rakuten Securities on your behalf to facilitate this. The best advice here is squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Thank you for the reply and information.
So if the securities account name is changed, I assume it won’t have any problems with regards to asking for ID in the future?
Sounds like a call to rakuten is in the works then.
Is their English support actually helpful or is it better done in Japanese?
Established
Veteran

Post by Established »

KCLenny wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:12 pm
Established wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:42 am

Thank you for the reply and information.
So if the securities account name is changed, I assume it won’t have any problems with regards to asking for ID in the future?
Sounds like a call to rakuten is in the works then.
Is their English support actually helpful or is it better done in Japanese?
I want to stress that you may have to be a bit of a Karen to get this done.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_(slang)

Emphasize that you know it can be done, and that they need to do it. Be firm.

So it may come down to how good your Kansai-ben is?
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Kansai-ben isn’t great. But I can be annoying to deal with when necessary.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

I will say that I had the exact same situation (no middle name on Rakuten Card, forced middle name on Rakuten Bank and Securities) and I resolved it by calling Rakuten Card and asking them to give me a name change application form. I filled up the form and sent it to them with a copy of my mynumber/zairyu card. This changed the name on Rakuten Card but it still had the spaces issue so I then called Rakuten Securities and got them to match up the name on their back end.

No Karen-ing involved but it took a few steps and alot of Japanese speaking:
1. Call Rakuten Card and ask for a name change. Tell them your name doesn't match your MyNumber card. They should understand this.
2. Send it back and wait.
3. After the name change, pray it works with Securities.
4. If it didn't work, call Securities and tell them you have a middle name space issue. They're used to this.
5. Wait for them to fix this (it took me half a day for them to call me and tell me it was fixed)

As a side note, my experience with Rakuten Bank is that they ignore spaces so just getting the name right on Rakuten Card should be enough for Rakuten Bank.
nickr
Regular

Post by nickr »

My advice is to use your full name wherever possible. If you're using your full name on Rakuten Securities and Rakuten Bank, it's probably best to leave them that way.

As for the card, have you actually had a problem yet? I have two credit cards, Rakuten and AEON, and both are missing my middle name (due to space on the card). But I can use them without any issues. So long as Rakuten Card approves the bank account you try to connect it to, there shouldn't be a problem (in my opinion).

If you go to the Rakuten Card website and click on the option to change the bank account the card is associated with, you should see the bank information you provided, and the name associated with that bank account.

If you really want to change the name on the credit card itself, click on the link for your personal information and click the option to change your details. Scroll to the bottom and you'll see that it says you can change the name, but they need to remake the card. I'd guess that even if you go that route, your middle name won't fit on the card anyway.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

nickr wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:34 pm My advice is to use your full name wherever possible. If you're using your full name on Rakuten Securities and Rakuten Bank, it's probably best to leave them that way.

As for the card, have you actually had a problem yet? I have two credit cards, Rakuten and AEON, and both are missing my middle name (due to space on the card). But I can use them without any issues. So long as Rakuten Card approves the bank account you try to connect it to, there shouldn't be a problem (in my opinion).

If you go to the Rakuten Card website and click on the option to change the bank account the card is associated with, you should see the bank information you provided, and the name associated with that bank account.

If you really want to change the name on the credit card itself, click on the link for your personal information and click the option to change your details. Scroll to the bottom and you'll see that it says you can change the name, but they need to remake the card. I'd guess that even if you go that route, your middle name won't fit on the card anyway.
I can’t use my card to pay for my Tsumitate NISA, which means I’m losing out on some extra points. Securities won’t let me use the card because the names for both are different (I.e. missing the middle name on my card).

If I go to the card site, my name isn’t on there at all with the other personal information. And when I click name change it always says error, can’t do that. But never says why.
Attachments
1019DB70-6380-4A67-A7D8-D04CA4D93FD9.jpeg
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

KCLenny wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:39 pm
nickr wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:34 pm My advice is to use your full name wherever possible. If you're using your full name on Rakuten Securities and Rakuten Bank, it's probably best to leave them that way.

I can’t use my card to pay for my Tsumitate NISA, which means I’m losing out on some extra points. Securities won’t let me use the card because the names for both are different (I.e. missing the middle name on my card).

If I go to the card site, my name isn’t on there at all with the other personal information. And when I click name change it always says error, can’t do that. But never says why.
Its kinda weird because that portion of their site is if you want to change your name on the card itself. Its for people who want to change romaji spelling of their name or women who change their surname after marriage.

What you will be asking for is to make the card "more correct" by adding your middlename to their backend with no change to the card. Calling them is the best way. Tell them you want to fix your name on the backend but no change on the card itself.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Got it. Thank you.