Investing in CEFs, BDCs, MLPs in US

tokyoter
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Investing in CEFs, BDCs, MLPs in US

Post by tokyoter »

Trying to buy stocks of CEFs, BDCs and MLPs at NYSE and NASDAQ via Rakuten Securities, but stocks are not listed with this broker. Wondering if I am using here missing something or does anybody made the same experience and can confirm. With which online broker purchases of these stocks is possible, maybe with IB ? Considering to open another broker account with IB soon.
fools_gold
Veteran

Re: Investing in CEFs, BDCs, MLPs in US

Post by fools_gold »

Can't buy them on Monex either. This is what they say about about ARK ETFs but it applies to other funds:

ARK社ETFを含む、米国ETF/REITの当社取扱いについて
米国ETF/REITを日本国内の証券会社が取扱うにあたっては、あらかじめ当該銘柄の運用会社から日本の金融庁長官に「外国投資信託に関する届出」がなされている必要があります。この届出は当社含む個別の証券会社ではなく運用会社が行う必要があり、ARK社の運用するETFを含め、届出がされていないことから当社で取扱うことができない銘柄もございます。

Basically the US fund managers have to file with the Japanese authorities before their funds can be sold through Japanese brokers.
tokyoter

Post by tokyoter »

Thanks a lot for clarification; for buying CEFs, BDCs, MLPs I will need to open an IB account then.
niall24

Post by niall24 »

I use IB for buying CEFs. As stated above Japanese brokers are not allowed to sell CEFs, BDCs etc. (such funds are considered risky, due to leverage, volatility).

If you are using a Japanese bank as source of funds for IB, check that they will allow you to transfer to IB (I think SMBC-Prestia will do it, but I havent used them.)
tokyoter

Post by tokyoter »

Planning to use IB for high yielding CEFs, and about to start the KYC process online there. Before doing so, do you happen to know if funding the IB broker account with JPY funds from Rakuten bank and Shinsei bank is working ?