Best Place to Live in Japan

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Tokyo
Veteran

Re: Best Place in Japan to Live

Post by Tokyo »

Is that you Naruhito-sama? Your palace does seem to have all that. :-)
No, I am not Naruhito-san. But see you at Immigration someday!
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

The missus and I are currently discussing this. We are thinking about buying a place but we can't agree on where.

We currently live in Tokyo, deep in the western suburbs, about 2/3 of the way to the mountains from central Tokyo. It's pretty quiet and we live next to a farm. The only noise is the odd day of tractor work and the insects. But we both long to be further into the countryside. I would love to live in Hokkaido for a while. Somehow an exceptionally snowy winter appeals to me. However, my partner prefers Okinawa. The discussion continues...
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Gareth wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:39 am I would love to live in Hokkaido for a while. Somehow an exceptionally snowy winter appeals to me. However, my partner prefers Okinawa.
This seems like a tricky circle to square :?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Tokyo
Veteran

Post by Tokyo »

I have been thinking a bit more about my previous answer since most respondents, like me, appear to nominate where they live. Here’s my do-over but now strictly based on retirement since the needs of a 40 year old and and an 80 year old are very different. Surely it has to be the practical features of a location that matter most for a retired person.

Here’s my checklist:
- ready access to public transport (far too many accidents are already being caused by older drivers)
- supermarkets & konbini within 5-10 minutes of walking from home
- good doctors, dentists & hospitals within 5-10 minutes walking
- a single level home in a non-hilly neighborhood
- an elevator, good security & not being on a high floor if home is a manshon
- a small, cheap and easy to maintain home (and maybe garden)
- an IH cooking range
- an area not prone to earthquake, flooding, tsunami, volcanic activity, etc.
- far away (80km+ but preferably much farther) from the nearest nuclear plant
- near parks and facilities such as pools, gyms, libraries, ATMs/banks, hairdressers, post offices, department stores
- although not really necessary a view of a body of water, mountains, parks, sunset, etc is highly recommended as retirees have the time to sit back with their wine or herbal tea and enjoy the changing of the seasons. It’s cheap but fascinating entertainment and a lot healthier than staring at a screen.
And specifically for retired gaijins
- being near ethnic restaurants & imported food stores
- accessible to transport hubs, especially international flights.

That’s a solid start. Feel free to add more.
Gulliver
Veteran

Post by Gulliver »

Interesting. The only trend that stands out so far is that no one wants to live on the West Coast. I wonder why?
Last edited by Gulliver on Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

My wife is a Tokyo girl. And we both work in the city. As a university teacher, I will be likely moving between institutions throughout my career.

I thinking Yokohama is looking like a great compromise and seems a lot more livable.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Tokyo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:44 am Here’s my checklist:
- ready access to public transport (far too many accidents are already being caused by older drivers)
- an IH cooking range
- near parks and facilities such as pools, gyms, libraries, ATMs/banks, hairdressers, post offices, department stores
- although not really necessary a view of a body of water, mountains, parks, sunset, etc is highly recommended as retirees have the time to sit back with their wine or herbal tea and enjoy the changing of the seasons. It’s cheap but fascinating entertainment and a lot healthier than staring at a screen.
Nice list :D

Our manshon ticks all these boxes already. I would add near family if possible (I'd be willing to move to remain close to my daughters/grandkids).

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
nagoyayagona

Post by nagoyayagona »

Tokyo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:44 am I have been thinking a bit more about my previous answer since most respondents, like me, appear to nominate where they live. Here’s my do-over but now strictly based on retirement since the needs of a 40 year old and and an 80 year old are very different. Surely it has to be the practical features of a location that matter most for a retired person.

Here’s my checklist:
- an IH cooking range

That’s a solid start. Feel free to add more.
This is a great list. My heart says the countryside, but my head says provincial town 地方都市.
I've had three different periods of living in Japan over the last 20 years -- 3 years in Yokosuka, Kanagawa, 4 years in Hamura in the west of Tokyo, and just over a year now in Nagoya.
I have to say I loved the Yokosuka/Yokohama area, and I think it fits all of the criteria above. But it's one of the pricier parts of Japan. Especially if you buy for the views!
Two things concern me about old age in Japan wherever we go -- natural disasters and summer heat, and in particularly the potential combination of the two. I realise it's possible to do proper homework on the natural disasters question.
But even if my home survives e.g. an earthquake, a long time without electricity in Japanese summer would probably finish me off!
pfdsa
Veteran

Post by pfdsa »

Gareth wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:39 am The missus and I are currently discussing this. We are thinking about buying a place but we can't agree on where.

We currently live in Tokyo, deep in the western suburbs, about 2/3 of the way to the mountains from central Tokyo. It's pretty quiet and we live next to a farm. The only noise is the odd day of tractor work and the insects. But we both long to be further into the countryside. I would love to live in Hokkaido for a while. Somehow an exceptionally snowy winter appeals to me. However, my partner prefers Okinawa. The discussion continues...
Can’t speak for Hokkaido, but every person that I met so far, and that actually lived in Okinawa for more than 1 year, either loved or hated it (including me). If you’re not self-employed, or a US citizen, it might be difficult to find a job that pays decent money, or that isn’t related to the tourism business/sales. Or maybe you’re already retired and nothing of what I said matters :lol:

Despite that, I have the same opinion as your partner. Maybe a long vacation in both places would help out with the discussion? :D
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

nagoyayagona wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:48 am But even if my home survives e.g. an earthquake, a long time without electricity in Japanese summer would probably finish me off!
I think we'll be able to plan for this by investing in batteries etc. I expect to see prices drop and capacity go up in the future.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)