Setting up yuucho direct ゆうちょダイレクト for Jnr NISA

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
Moneymatters
Veteran

Setting up yuucho direct ゆうちょダイレクト for Jnr NISA

Post by Moneymatters »

So, I managed to create a Junior NISA account with SBI for my son. Rejoice!
However, they would not let us create a SBI Net bank account due to "reasons".
When we created the SBI Shoken Jr NISA account we provided his ゆうちょ銀行 account details. So I just need to wire funds from there. Easy as.

Establishing ゆうちょダイレクトaccess for an active ゆうちょ銀行 account.

The online registration is surprisingly simple but impossibly long winded. It's basically just missing a wizard and some hobbits for the scale of the journey you'll be sent upon.

You will need; access to "an email account", the cash card, ogre bow, ATM pin number, airtight pot, the bank book, a cast iron disposition, nerves of steel, a head for heights and a knob of butter.
The bank book is only required to obtain the latest bank book balance.

They will urge you to use a mobile network carrier email on the assumption that your bonds them are as hard to sever as their optional subscription services. I chose gmail and it's fine.

It starts simple, just select a "prompt picture" to help you recall the incredibly secure six digit password you set.
Just pick any picture it can't be important. Note: They are allowing both letters and numbers for the password! (Ignore that exclamation point. They will.)

The security questions only accept Japanese language answers.
So for me the first car i owned was the first Japanese model that sprang to mind and my mother's maiden name was 田中. They LOVE to ask these questions frequently. Assumedly as part of some covert study into the early onset Alzheimers. So ensure you've written them down and keep them close by.

The email address you'll provide will be key as this appears to be the simplest way to receive one-time passwords.
You won't be able to request the handily titled, トークン生成機 for "reasons".
There is a IOS app. However, after downloading, I realized the color scheme matched the Suica app which triggered my PTSD. I'm currently huddled under my desk.

After a quick email confirmation, you'll already be able to log in and see the bank balance! Then realize the only reason your son isn't nagging to get his ATM card is because he's completely emptied the account!

After 2 working days you'll receive by mail, a one time use, one time only, ワンタイムパスワード service activation one time password which is to be used only once then discarded. It's also possible by this point you'll start to overuse the term "one time".

So you just need to log in with the "prompt picture", (Jesus that's a big picture. Do they think I'm visually impaired?) completely unrelated password and answer the "nothing to do with me" security questions, then scrabble around to find the well concealed 制限解除 area to enter the one time password service activation password mentioned above.

You have 90 days to complete this final activation step. Which might seem generous to you. But I was all for quitting and telling him to ditch his university plans. Entering that password is like dropping a ring into molten lava or saying goodbye to some friends in the Shire.

Will it Blend?

Log into SBI Shoken. (At least they have the common decency to cache all your passwords and only ask "how much" type questions.).
Select 入金, pick ゆうちょダイレクト、enter yen amount and SBI 取引パスワード, get flung to ゆうちょダイレクト stare blindly at the "picture prompt" and wish you'd picked something a little less garish. <次へ>, <insecure password>, <はい>, <田中>,<次へ>,<はい>, Click on the email account to receive a one time password.<はい>,<はい>,<はい>.

Wait nervously as though Orcs could attack at any moment. Get email, enter 5 digit one-time password. Click "次へ" "はい " or frankly anything that looks like it might bring this ordeal to a close.
Hopefully before you have time to consider the phrase "going postal" with an unheralded dark intent.

Check the money is actually in the SBI Shoken account. Wonder what that would look like framed on the wall. Try not to get too emotional. Close the "how to purchase fertilizer on the dark web" browser window and go get the cork screw.

You're a fellow of the wide world after all.

<Do NOT think about how many times you'll need to look at that "picture prompt" until he's 20>.
"Desperately Seeking Severance”
Beaglehound
Veteran

Re: Setting up yuucho direct ゆうちょダイレクト for Jnr NISA

Post by Beaglehound »

So, what I got from this is: don’t have kids (with an exclamation mark).
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

A very dramatic retelling to be sure! I find Yuucho Online banking fairly straightforward. It takes me just a few clicks to fund my Rakuten account. Remember A LOT of older people bank with them, so their accounts are target by scammers pretty frequently. I think that explains some things like giant pictures, etc.

Bad news, I think they are changing their log-in set-up at the end of the month. Moneytree sent me a warning about it.

If you do not mind me saying how long did the Junior Nisa paperwork take? Rakuten has been looking over ours for two month or so now.
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

Kanto wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:15 pm Bad news, I think they are changing their log-in set-up at the end of the month. Moneytree sent me a warning about it.

If you do not mind me saying how long did the Junior Nisa paperwork take? Rakuten has been looking over ours for two month or so now.
I'm sure the update will make the interface more logical and intuitive whilst sadly losing some of that "early days of the internet" nostalgia.

The Junior NISA paperwork didn't take that long. As I recall the SBI account was created in precisely two weeks!
Just logged in now and selected the first purchase to make in his name.
ERROR. "ジュニアNISA 手続中" WTF.

Some poking around in the account settings and I found this. "税務署申請中"
Not sure how I missed this. On first login there was a clear.
"ジュニアNISA口座開設申込完了のお知らせ"
And now after re-reading that. halfway down I find this.
税務署での確認後、口座開設が完了しましたら。。。
Yup. They had me on a technicality. The application was complete just not fully processed.

Anyway, a quick google says that 税務署申請 can take 3-4 weeks. But that was probably pre-covid.

Maybe Rakuten are waiting until they can provide a usable NISA account before firing the login details at you.
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

Moneymatters wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:11 pm
Kanto wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:15 pm Bad news, I think they are changing their log-in set-up at the end of the month. Moneytree sent me a warning about it.

I'm sure the update will make the interface more logical and intuitive whilst sadly losing some of that "early days of the internet" nostalgia.

The Junior NISA paperwork didn't take that long. As I recall the SBI account was created in precisely two weeks!
Just logged in now and selected the first purchase to make in his name.
ERROR. "ジュニアNISA 手続中" WTF.

Some poking around in the account settings and I found this. "税務署申請中"
Not sure how I missed this. On first login there was a clear.
"ジュニアNISA口座開設申込完了のお知らせ"
And now after re-reading that. halfway down I find this.
税務署での確認後、口座開設が完了しましたら。。。
Yup. They had me on a technicality. The application was complete just not fully processed.

Anyway, a quick google says that 税務署申請 can take 3-4 weeks. But that was probably pre-covid.

Maybe Rakuten are waiting until they can provide a usable NISA account before firing the login details at you.
総合取引口座の申込みをいただき、ありがとうございます。

提出いただきました申込み書類に不備がございましたので、返却いたします。
お手元に到着しましたら、不備内容を確認いただき、ご返送ください。

Argh!!!! :oops:
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

I'm sure we'll get there in the end.

Just had my Rakuten IDECO application returned to me after several weeks.
I had this completed by a member of our Finance team who claimed to have much experience.
2 of the 3 forms have been returned to me requesting modifications.
One is asking me where I'd like the space between my three exotic sounding names.
Because you know. There wasn't space to provide such guidance with the tiny amount of paperwork that came with the application.

To paraphrase my good pal Michael Caine.

"Some <Japanese Investment Brokers> aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, ... Some men just want to watch the world burn"
crew
Regular

Post by crew »

Just saw this post. I too am planning to open a Junior NISA account and using their existing Post account, so less trouble creating new accounts. But this post reminded me that having a Post account does not mean having a Yucho Direct account and I still have to go through the archaic system for each child. I think I a better of with the internet banks.

By the way you can avoid logging in to their accounts if you just furikomi from your own account (probably not Yucho) and just put their name in the Requester field. SBI accepts that.