Japanese Income Tax Refund -- When?

beanhead
Sensei

Re: Japanese Income Tax Refund -- When?

Post by beanhead »

beanhead wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:23 am My wife received hers but I haven't yet. Submitted at the same time. Go figure...
OK, there was no non-Japanese bias!!
Mine was received on April 27th, but into a bank account other than the one I was expecting it in. So I didn't notice it.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
RetroNewbie
Regular

Post by RetroNewbie »

We submitted ours in paper form around the April 15th deadline, and got the postcard/payment a few days ago. If that helps anyone.
Teflon
Veteran

Post by Teflon »

I submitted mine on March 1st and received the postcard on May 8th notifying me of their intention to begin the direct deposit procedure. On May 20th I received a letter stating that the direct deposit was rejected along with a form to verify/change my account information as necessary. I could see they used my full name in Katakana instead of just my first/last name in Romaji (which is what I provided for the bank transfer information). Very annoying. Sent back the form with the correction and finally the refund was direct deposited yesterday, June 2nd.

Coincidentally, on the same day, I received my first property tax bill from the same tax office in the mail. In some sense, it was was a big surprise because it was much lower than I had anticipated. In fact, the home loan income tax credit I received has completely offset my property tax bill plus all the interest on the loan I paid over the year. That is amazing.