Japanese Income Tax Refund -- When?

Teflon
Veteran

Japanese Income Tax Refund -- When?

Post by Teflon »

I'm wondering if anyone else is expecting a refund on their income taxes and, if so, if they've already had it deposited into their bank account?

My Japanese tax accountant filed my completed tax return electronically on March 1st. He said it normally takes about a month to get the refund but could be delayed this year due to the tax deadline extension as a result of coronavirus. Okay, so it has been more than two months and nothing. I'm wondering if this is normal. Is anyone else still waiting on their tax refund?
Butterball
Regular

Re: Japanese Income Tax Refund -- When?

Post by Butterball »

I usually get mine in early April or late March, but still nothing yet this year. To tell you the truth, I had to check just now because I'd forgotten about it. But I was expecting a delay due to COVID.
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

You can actually call your local tax office to ask about the status of your return. One year I had to wait over 2 months for the refund and it was because they had some internal review about my return but decided it was okay. This year I received my refund 3 weeks after filing electronically. Interestingly, this year they were unable to do the direct deposit in my Postal bank account the first time they tried --even though the name and information I had given was exactly the same as in prior years-- because the Postal bank became more picky about exact matching of all of the registered name. My accountant had to submit additional information to the tax office on how the name appears on my Postal bank account.
beanhead
Sensei

Post by beanhead »

My wife received hers but I haven't yet. Submitted at the same time. Go figure...
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Teflon
Veteran

Post by Teflon »

Thanks for all the responses. I'm comforted to know that I'm not the only one who is still waiting for my tax refund. :lol:
TokyoWart wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:31 am You can actually call your local tax office to ask about the status of your return. One year I had to wait over 2 months for the refund and it was because they had some internal review about my return but decided it was okay. This year I received my refund 3 weeks after filing electronically. Interestingly, this year they were unable to do the direct deposit in my Postal bank account the first time they tried --even though the name and information I had given was exactly the same as in prior years-- because the Postal bank became more picky about exact matching of all of the registered name. My accountant had to submit additional information to the tax office on how the name appears on my Postal bank account.
I will definitely call them if it's not in my account by June. Thanks for the tip.
captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

As one who gets dinged and not a refund, last year and this the deduction happened/will happen at the end of this month. I'd expect a refund would be at the same time. (Did my return at the tax office in early February.)
Teflon
Veteran

Post by Teflon »

Just FYI, I received a paper notification of an impending direct deposit in the mail yesterday from my local tax office. Hopefully it will be in my bank account tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed!
kyno-office
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by kyno-office »

If you filed your tax returns through e-Tax, you can receive your refund within 3 weeks.
And you can check your current status on e-Tax system.
seb
Regular

Post by seb »

My accountant does it using e-tax system. I usually get it within 2-3 weeks. He filed for me on April 20th and I got the deposit on May 6th. I don't think waiting over a month is normal, but it may depend on your local tax office.
JaviLM

Post by JaviLM »

I came to check here because I'm in the same situation. My accountant submitted the tax returns via e-Tax on March 15th, and I was expecting to receive it in mid-April like other years. We're almost in June and I haven't received anything yet.