Depositing IRS a joint refund check

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
TJKansai
Veteran

Depositing IRS a joint refund check

Post by TJKansai »

My wife and I do not have a joint account, but the IRS just sent us a stimulus check. I was surprised since I filled 2019 and 2020 with my US bank account number on the return. Whatever...

I got a check from the IRS many years ago, when I prepaid some estimated US tax and it turned out to be too much, but I had forgotten how I cashed it.

After a few emails, I discovered that Etrade won't take it, but Vanguard said OK.

Vanguard will accept a third party check for additional purchases in your
account. The check must be endorsed by both payees, with "payable to
Vanguard" written beneath the signatures.

Please send the check, along with a purchase form for the appropriate fund,
which you can create online by following these steps:

1. Log on to your account.
2. From the "My Accounts" dropdown, select "Buy & sell."
3. Select "Buy Vanguard funds.”
4. Select the applicable fund, enter the dollar amount, and “Continue.”
5. From the dropdown menu, indicate that you'll be sending Vanguard a
check, and select "Continue."
6. Print the form that appears after you select "Submit." The mailing
address will be included on the purchase form.

Please mail your purchase form and check to one of the following addresses:

First-class mail >>
Vanguard
P.O. Box 982901
El Paso, TX 79998-2901

Overnight, registered, or certified mail >>
Vanguard
5951 Luckett Ct., Ste. A1
El Paso, TX 79932
runmanTX
Regular

Re: Depositing IRS a joint refund check

Post by runmanTX »

Not sure if it's helpful info or not but:

My wife and I have also been receiving US stimulus checks (both names on the check). I don't know about other banks but some larger branches of SMBC will cash them. Obviously, you must have both people fill out documents (Application for Collection/Clean Bill), show photo ID's and have inkans. They charged us 3,100 yen and it took about a week to be deposited into the bank account.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

That is good to know. I am surprised SMBC allowed that, given there are no joint accounts. Cashing a CAD check made out to my wife took forever and the fees were steep even though she is Prestia Gold, so I think I will go ahead and mail it to Vanguard since they gave me the OK.
runmanTX
Regular

Post by runmanTX »

The US government also sent me a check for 30 dollars last year as I overpaid on something. SMBC wanted 3000 yen or more to cash that check so I ended up endorsing it and mailing it to my US Bank for deposit. 😳. Cost me postage only.
dcon
Regular

Post by dcon »

Thanks for sharing this. I just received a third round stimulus check made out to myself and my wife even though she is not a US citizen (and therefore not eligible for the stimulus). I file our US returns jointly and I expect they just pulled the name from what is on file with the IRS. Although I did not receive the first and second payments, Turbo Tax told me those payments were available for me to apply to the taxes that I owed.

I just want to confirm: only your name is on the Vanguard account? I have a Vanguard account in my name and this may be the solution I am looking for. Schwab, like Etrade, would not accept a deposit even if we both endorse the check.

Thanks,
Dan
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

dcon wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:25 am Thanks for sharing this.

I just want to confirm: only your name is on the Vanguard account? I have a Vanguard account in my name and this may be the solution I am looking for. Schwab, like Etrade, would not accept a deposit even if we both endorse the check.

Thanks,
Dan
Yes, the Vanguard account is in my name only. This year's check was processed without issue (both of us had signed the back).
Surprisingly, I also got a direct deposit of my tax refund (which included some stimulus funds I could not collect under Trump since I was married to a non-US citizen). At this point I have given up trying to figure out the rules.
dcon
Regular

Post by dcon »

Thanks! The rules that really bug me are the ones that prevent tax paying US citizens from being able to open bank accounts, new investment accounts etc. in the US. I really don't get it. There are like 9 million expats in the world.