Permanent Residency postcard

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Beaglehound
Veteran

Permanent Residency postcard

Post by Beaglehound »

So I applied for PR in December and got my postcard back today, asking me to go to the immigration office by the end of this month to receive the result. The postcard doesn’t seem to say the application has been approved anywhere but they want me to bring my passport, residence card and 8000 yen, which sounds promising. Anyone who has been through the process able to shed light on whether this means good news or there is a chance they will reject but still ask you to pay? I live a fair way from the immigration office and won’t be able to make it there till next week...
Kanto
Veteran

Re: Permanent Residency postcard

Post by Kanto »

Beaglehound wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:54 am So I applied for PR in December and got my postcard back today, asking me to go to the immigration office by the end of this month to receive the result. The postcard doesn’t seem to say the application has been approved anywhere but they want me to bring my passport, residence card and 8000 yen, which sounds promising. Anyone who has been through the process able to shed light on whether this means good news or there is a chance they will reject but still ask you to pay? I live a fair way from the immigration office and won’t be able to make it there till next week...
8000 yen -> You got it son!

Congrats

I will apply in June. Hopefully, it is not too bad. I hear Spousal -> PR is the lowest bar for entry. :lol:
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

It's not over until the card is in your hands, but asking you to bring 8000 yen of revenue stamps is good news. :) They only require payment for successful applications.

I'm not sure why the card is so unclear, it's the same for regular visa renewals too. I'm guessing that there is probably a rule that says the permission is only granted at the time you show up to receive it, so they don't want to tell you the result until then, and only tell you to please "come and get the result" along with the fee that's only payable when the result is an approval...
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

You’ve definitely got it. Huge congratulations!

Rejection comes in the form of a letter detailing why. Sadly I know that from experience from last time I applied. But I’ve applied again and this time I’m feeling confident. Put mine in in February so have been waiting two months now.

It took four months for you. That’s pretty good. Can I ask where you applied? I applied at Tachikawa in Tokyo and they told me about seven to nine months...

Well done!
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

Thanks (provisionally!) guys. I will trot along full of hope next week.

Gareth, I applied in Toyama, which is part of the Nagoya Office, but I think they handle it all in Toyama as that’s where we rang to clarify some extra documents we needed to send. It was just before Christmas when we applied, so under four months, though they told me at least six months when I applied.
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

Congratulations!

The fee payment form can be downloaded in advance (http://www.moj.go.jp/isa/content/930002833.pdf), but I didn’t bother doing that beforehand and still picked up my new zairyu card in no time at all.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

kuma wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:12 pm Congratulations!

The fee payment form can be downloaded in advance (http://www.moj.go.jp/isa/content/930002833.pdf), but I didn’t bother doing that beforehand and still picked up my new zairyu card in no time at all.
There’s another form, well blow me over...

Seriously, thanks, I will fill it out beforehand and save some hassle.
Viralriver
Veteran

Post by Viralriver »

Congrats, sounds like good news! I'm thinking of applying for this shortly. Are there any resources you would recommend for doing the application by myself?

Thanks!
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

Viralriver wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:53 am Congrats, sounds like good news! I'm thinking of applying for this shortly. Are there any resources you would recommend for doing the application by myself?
I'd start with the official list of documents, linked from here: https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/Permanent_Residency

That page really needs to be expanded with some advice, not just official links. But I'm conscious that the process can change and varies per region, and will all be completely anecdotal, so not sure how much to add.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

Viralriver wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:53 am Congrats, sounds like good news! I'm thinking of applying for this shortly. Are there any resources you would recommend for doing the application by myself?

Thanks!
As Adamu says, it does seem to vary depending on regional office and your own situation, but I would say that list is a good place to start.

I was applying as a spouse of a Japanese, so got said spouse to interpret the required document list in Japanese. When we handed in the application they said they would be in touch to request extra documents they needed, which duly happened after three months. It wasn’t really possible to know they would ask for these (mostly connected to proving my employment status and income as I am self employed) so it is difficult to guarantee you get it ‘right’ first time. All you can do is submit the basics, and respond quickly and readily to whatever follow up requests they make.