Simple Q&A - Stock market investing

TokyoWart
Veteran

Re: Simple Q&A - Stock market investing

Post by TokyoWart »

I haven't inquired whether I could sell specific lots in Japan but every time I have sold partial positions here it has been using an average price for the shares acquired and I don't think I've ever been given a choice to do otherwise.
TBS

Post by TBS »

TokyoWart wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:40 pm I haven't inquired whether I could sell specific lots in Japan but every time I have sold partial positions here it has been using an average price for the shares acquired and I don't think I've ever been given a choice to do otherwise.
Yep, starkimpossibility's reply on this thread from r/JapanFinance implies using the average price is the only way for Japanese tax purposes.
Viralriver
Veteran

Post by Viralriver »

Interesting about the average price thing. Thanks for the link will look into this more.

More rakuten-based questions:

1. My 買付可能額 recently went up and I'm not sure where to attribute this to as I don't remember any significant sales or deposits. Is there a page where I can see a history of how it changes and why? I know there is a deposit history, but since there's all sorts of delays with sales and other things that can influence this number, for peace of mind I'd like to be able to look at this.

2. Is there a page which shows my overall profits/losses, including sales I have made? Right now, my main page shows a single number, but doesn't take into account that I made $x on a sale a few weeks ago. For example, if I have 100x $YYY @ $40 and sell 10 of these at $50, I'll have made $100 (ignoring taxes etc). But if the stock drops to $30 my account will show $900 negative (90x$10 loss). Is there somewhere which would show $800 loss, i.e. taking into account the $100 that I made from selling some at $50?

3. Is there a reason why my 買付可能額 would decrease over time? I have no buy/sell orders that are going to be executed next week, and my NISA/投資信託 orders are all by credit card. However, this page shows that my amount available to spend will be decreasing. I can't think of any logical reason for this ^^;
Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 12.09.09.png
Thanks!
JimNasium
Veteran

Post by JimNasium »

I have a really beginner question.

When I buy stock, it seems to take some time to go through (a few days). When it does go through, is the buying price set the date I bought it, or the date it “goes through”?
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

EDIT

Sorry, I do not think I was clear with my answer.
If you enter a trade to buy or sell shares of a mutual fund, your trade will be executed at the next available net asset value, which is calculated after the market closes and typically posted by 6 p.m. ET. This price may be higher or lower than the previous day's closing NAV.
https://www.fidelity.com/learning-cen ... ess%20day.
Last edited by Kanto on Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

JimNasium wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:37 pm I have a really beginner question.

When I buy stock, it seems to take some time to go through (a few days). When it does go through, is the buying price set the date I bought it, or the date it “goes through”?
The apparent lag is called settlement. It's like the purchase/sale is first struck as a deal, a handshake, but then a couple days later the funds are officially settled.

Usually this isn't a problem and doesn't bother anyone or disrupt anything, but...

Some novice traders, and the Robinhood trading platform, got twisted into knots this past december and january during the GameStop trading frenzy. There were problems on the client/traders side, since those people wanted to buy and sell quickly, and there's this little catch--you can't trade with unsettled funds. And I don't know options trading, but I'll guess the same thing applies there. Also, Robinhood was (I think) doing a particularly poor job of getting an overwhelming volume of trades settled. Lots of unhappy people.
mighty58
Veteran

Post by mighty58 »

captainspoke wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:19 pm ... there's this little catch--you can't trade with unsettled funds.
I thought the catch was (more specifically) that you can't sell stocks bought with unsettled funds? Eg. you sell a stock for, say, 100, your broker then credits you 100 immediately, and you can use that 100 to buy a new stock right away. What you can't do though, is then turn around and sell that new stock... you need to wait until the initial sale for 100 settles before being able to sell.
captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

mighty58 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:08 pm
captainspoke wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:19 pm ... there's this little catch--you can't trade with unsettled funds.
I thought the catch was (more specifically) that you can't sell stocks bought with unsettled funds? Eg. you sell a stock for, say, 100, your broker then credits you 100 immediately, and you can use that 100 to buy a new stock right away. What you can't do though, is then turn around and sell that new stock... you need to wait until the initial sale for 100 settles before being able to sell.
Yeah, you're undoubtedly correct. I was just relaying what I kind of know--tho I trade some, it's never been 'to the max', where I would try to use all apparently available funds.
JimNasium
Veteran

Post by JimNasium »

Kanto wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:50 pm
Are you talking about mutual funds and not stocks or etfs?

Mutual funds are bought in dollar/yen amounts and not in share amounts.

You will pay the price at purchase.

Mutual funds prices are set at the end of every trading day and do not fluctuate daily.
I was asking about mutual funds. Thanks so much for your answer!
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

JimNasium wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:24 am
Kanto wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:50 pm
Are you talking about mutual funds and not stocks or etfs?

Mutual funds are bought in dollar/yen amounts and not in share amounts.

You will pay the price at purchase.

Mutual funds prices are set at the end of every trading day and do not fluctuate daily.
I was asking about mutual funds. Thanks so much for your answer!
Sorry, I do not think I was clear with my answer.
If you enter a trade to buy or sell shares of a mutual fund, your trade will be executed at the next available net asset value, which is calculated after the market closes and typically posted by 6 p.m. ET. This price may be higher or lower than the previous day's closing NAV.
https://www.fidelity.com/learning-cent ... ess%20day.