MAXIS ETFs vs eMAXIS Slim mutual funds

TBS

MAXIS ETFs vs eMAXIS Slim mutual funds

Post by TBS »

Following from previous threads, MUFG launched two new Japan-based MAXIS ETFs in January last year: 2558 (S&P 500) & 2559 (MSCI All Country). These are ETF equivalents of their popular eMAXIS Slim S&P500 and All Country mutual funds. The basic difference, other than being ETF vs mutual, is the MAXIS ETFs are distributing funds: they pay dividends twice a year. The eMAXIS Slim mutuals are accumulating funds, reinvesting dividends from the underlying stocks internally without delay to grow the fund.

The Shintaro Money website has some excellent articles on the new MAXIS ETFs. In particular, it highlights how the ETFs benefit from new rules allowing them to use foreign tax credits to avoid double taxation (foreign + Japan) on dividends, which the mutual funds cannot. This benefit applies only when held in tokutei or normal taxable accounts, as there is no Japan dividend tax anyway within NISA or iDeco (not that you can buy the ETFs in iDeco). Moreover the ETFs have slightly lower quoted fees than the mutual funds, although Shintaro Money estimates the actual costs are marginally higher for the S&P500 ETF than the S&P500 mutual.

On the other hand, the mutual funds can reinvest dividends straight away, so growth investors' money spends less time out of the market. Moreover, even though the mutuals suffer from double taxation on dividends, with the mutuals the Japanese taxation is deferred until you sell. This delayed taxation means you in effect benefit from an interest-free loan from the tax office, as the money is invested in the meantime and you benefit from its growth.

Shintaro did a comparison of the performance of the ETFs vs the mutual funds over the first year: S&P500 and All Country. They found the mutuals had actually done better than the ETFs with dividends reinvested.

There were a couple of simplifications in their calculations for the ETFs that I noticed: 1. They actually allowed the ETFs to reinvest the dividends gross of Japanese tax, which won't occur in practice when held in taxable accounts; 2. They did not consider the lag between the dividend date and the pay date when the customers receive the dividends from the brokers. This is almost 40 days for the MAXIS ETFs. Both these things inflated their calculated performance for the ETFs.

So, I decided to re-calculate and see the effect by correcting these - results are the graphs below. The mutual funds outperformed the ETFs pretty consistently over the first one year and three months. For the year running to the end of January, the S&P500 mutual outperformed the ETF by 0.21%, and the All Country mutual beat the ETF by 0.29%. These numbers are higher than the 0.09% and 0.1%, respectively, calculated by Shintaro Money.

slim_vs_2558_2559_growth.png

The spikes in the graphs are caused by the lags between the dividend date when the ETF prices drop, and the pay date when you receive the money and reinvest.

My analysis also ignores the fact that you really need a lot invested in the ETFs to receive sufficient dividends to be able to buy new units on the pay date. For example, the lowest dividend was about 24 yen (S&P500 ETF, July 2020), so you would need at least 4 million yen invested in that ETF to have been able to buy a new unit on the pay date. I don't think it is possible to buy fractional units of the ETFs - please correct me if I am wrong.

TLDR: eMAXIS Slim looks better than MAXIS ETF for long-term growth investors. Especially when investing via NISA and iDeco.

There may however be some tax advantages to buying the ETFs for income investors, i.e. people who will not reinvest the dividends. Will need to think about it more.

Disclaimer: Just a random amateur on the internet. Use your own brain when making investment decisions.
Last edited by TBS on Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Established
Veteran

Re: MAXIS ETFs vs eMAXIS Slim mutual funds

Post by Established »

TBS wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:28 pm

TLDR: eMAXIS Slim looks better than MAXIS ETF for long-term growth investors. Especially when investing via NISA and iDeco.
This is some great analysis! Did you consider responding to the original Shintaro article? They usually respond to commenters, and I would love to know their feedback.

Another point would be that ETFs do not benefit from the point accumulation programs that Monex, SBi and Rakuten offer. You also cannot take advantage of Tsumitate, set-and-forget investing with ETFS.
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

Wow, great write-up. Interesting how just the method of packaging up the same fund can affect performance. And I'm glad that it falls down on the side of the mutuals. 😌
mumble mumble lost in the noise would be good on the wiki mumble
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

TBS wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:28 pm Disclaimer: Just a random amateur on the internet. Use your own brain when making investment decisions.
Really interesting, thank you for taking the time to do this.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

TBS wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:28 pm Following from previous threads, MUFG launched two new Japan-based MAXIS ETFs in January last year: 2558 (S&P 500) & 2559 (MSCI All Country). These are ETF equivalents of their popular eMAXIS Slim S&P500 and All Country mutual funds. The basic difference, other than being ETF vs mutual, is the MAXIS ETFs are distributing funds: they pay dividends twice a year. The eMAXIS Slim mutuals are accumulating funds, reinvesting dividends from the underlying stocks internally without delay to grow the fund.

The Shintaro Money website has some excellent articles on the new MAXIS ETFs. In particular, it highlights how the ETFs benefit from new rules allowing them to use foreign tax credits to avoid double taxation (foreign + Japan) on dividends, which the mutual funds cannot. This benefit applies only when held in tokutei or normal taxable accounts, as there is no Japan dividend tax anyway within NISA or iDeco (not that you can buy the ETFs in iDeco). Moreover the ETFs have slightly lower quoted fees than the mutual funds, although Shintaro Money estimates the actual costs are marginally higher for the S&P500 ETF than the S&P500 mutual.

On the other hand, the mutual funds can reinvest dividends straight away, so growth investors' money spends less time out of the market. Moreover, even though the mutuals suffer from double taxation on dividends, with the mutuals the Japanese taxation is deferred until you sell. This delayed taxation means you in effect benefit from an interest-free loan from the tax office, as the money is invested in the meantime and you benefit from its growth.

Shintaro did a comparison of the performance of the ETFs vs the mutual funds over the first year: S&P500 and All Country. They found the mutuals had actually done better than the ETFs with dividends reinvested.

There were a couple of simplifications in their calculations for the ETFs that I noticed: 1. They actually allowed the ETFs to reinvest the dividends gross of Japanese tax, which won't occur in practice when held in taxable accounts; 2. They did not consider the lag between the dividend date and the pay date when the customers receive the dividends from the brokers. This is almost 40 days for the MAXIS ETFs. Both these things inflated their calculated performance for the ETFs.

So, I decided to re-calculate and see the effect by correcting these - results are the graphs below. The mutual funds outperformed the ETFs pretty consistently over the first one year and three months. For the year running to the end of January, the S&P500 mutual outperformed the ETF by 0.21%, and the All Country mutual beat the ETF by 0.29%. These numbers are higher than the 0.09% and 0.1%, respectively, calculated by Shintaro Money.

slim_vs_2558_2559_growth.png

The spikes in the graphs are caused by the lags between the dividend date when the ETF prices drop, and the pay date when you receive the money and reinvest.

My analysis also ignores the fact that you really need a lot invested in the ETFs to receive sufficient dividends to be able to buy new units on the pay date. For example, the lowest dividend was about 24 yen (S&P500 ETF, July 2020), so you would need at least 4 million yen invested in that ETF to have been able to buy a new unit on the pay date. I don't think it is possible to buy fractional units of the ETFs - please correct me if I am wrong.

There may however be some tax advantages to buying the ETFs for income investors, i.e. people who will not reinvest the dividends. Will need to think about it more.

Disclaimer: Just a random amateur on the internet. Use your own brain when making investment decisions.
Great write-up, thanks!
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
TBS

Post by TBS »

Established wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:17 pm Another point would be that ETFs do not benefit from the point accumulation programs that Monex, SBi and Rakuten offer. You also cannot take advantage of Tsumitate, set-and-forget investing with ETFS.
Yes, good points. Especially about it not being possible to set-and-forget with the ETFs. The major brokers (Rakuten, SBI...) do not appear to offer a setting to automatically re-invest the dividends from ETFs. So if you wanted to do this, you would have to remember to login every pay day and buy new units manually - a major hassle compared to the mutual funds.

Another disadvantage I did not mention is that you will lose a small amount investing via the ETFs due to the buy-sell price spread. Then there is issue of ETF price divergence from the net asset value, although this might work in your favour in some cases.

It is not all demerits though - the ETFs do allow you to buy in real time which some people might appreciate.

adamu, RetireJapan, Roger Van Zant: thanks. Don't get me wrong, both the eMAXIS Slim mutual funds and the MAXIS ETFs are clearly some of the best products on the market. Investing via either would be eminently sensible. See the below graphs showing how excellently they are tracking the benchmark indices. However, for anyone investing for growth, i.e. wanting to reinvest dividends, the eMAXIS Slim mutual funds look to be a better option.

slim_vs_2558_2559_benchmark.png
TBS

Post by TBS »

In case anyone is interested in how I performed these calculations, I have uploaded the analysis codes to GitHub: https://github.com/TBS-github/maxis-vs-emaxis-slim
If you find any mistakes, please let me know.
TBS

Post by TBS »

Decided to run an update of this today. Kanto pointed out that Shintaro's "実質コスト" (actual costs) for the ETFs have come down. However, the story for anyone looking to buy the ETFs and reinvest the distributions is still the same - don't, buy the mutual funds instead.

For the 2020/09/30 to 2021/09/30 period, you'd be 0.35% and 0.7% down with the S&P500 and All Country ETFs, respectively, compared to if you'd bought the mutual funds. This is worse divergence than the 2020/01/31 to 2021/01/31 in the initial post. The reason is the stronger growth of the markets over the Sept-Sept period accentuating the difference.

[Edit: rephrasing this bit for clarity]
I think the ETFs would be a sensible option for those moving to Japan upon retirement, and bringing cash that they need to invest from within Japan. The biannual distributions from the ETFs will provide an income in retirement, and the ETFs have better tax treatment of dividends (no American double taxation) compared to the mutual funds. One disadvantage of the ETFs is the time your money is out of the market while MUFG and the broker are holding onto dividends before paying out. However, for this case, I expect that the dividend tax benefit will outweigh this downside.
slim_vs_2558_2559_growth_v2.png
EmaxisSlim Cultist
Veteran

Post by EmaxisSlim Cultist »

TBS wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:52 am Decided to run an update of this today. Kanto pointed out that Shintaro's "実質コスト" (actual costs) for the ETFs have come down. However, the story for anyone looking to buy the ETFs and reinvest the distributions is still the same - don't, buy the mutual funds instead.

For the 2020/09/30 to 2021/09/30 period, you'd be 0.35% and 0.7% down with the S&P500 and All Country ETFs, respectively, compared to if you'd bought the mutual funds. This is worse divergence than the 2020/01/31 to 2021/01/31 in the initial post. The reason is the stronger growth of the markets over the Sept-Sept period accentuating the difference.

[Edit: rephrasing this bit for clarity]
I think the ETFs would be a sensible option for those moving to Japan upon retirement, and bringing cash that they need to invest from within Japan. The biannual distributions from the ETFs will provide an income in retirement, and the ETFs have better tax treatment of dividends (no American double taxation) compared to the mutual funds. One disadvantage of the ETFs is the time your money is out of the market while MUFG and the broker are holding onto dividends before paying out. However, for this case, I expect that the dividend tax benefit will outweigh this downside.

slim_vs_2558_2559_growth_v2.png
It is a balance of factors.

The Fund structure allows for things such as point reinvestment, dividend accumulation, Tsumitate/iDeco holding, and Yen-amount purchasing.

The ETF allows for stock lending, and target price buying/selling.

I was not aware of a difference in tax treatment though, do you have a source for that?

Rakuten and SBi allow you to set a % amount of a fund to be sold each month, this allows you to create an artificial dividend. So I would not consider dividend payouts with ETFs to be a "winning feature"

Now, at what cost-basis do ETFs win out over Japanese dividend-reinvesting mutual funds I wonder? Or will they remain inherently supeior?
TBS

Post by TBS »

EmaxisSlim Cultist wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:36 am I was not aware of a difference in tax treatment though, do you have a source for that?

Now, at what cost-basis do ETFs win out over Japanese dividend-reinvesting mutual funds I wonder? Or will they remain inherently supeior?
Please check out the earlier posts - they cover these points pretty well I think. First post has a source on the tax issue, Rakuten also have an explanation here.

By stock lending do you mean the customer personally lending the ETFs? Or the fund management lending the underlying stocks? If the latter, I don't know for sure but I don't think it would make any difference in this case. Both MAXIS ETF and eMAXIS Slim have the same mother fund apparently, i.e. all the underlying stocks are held as one together, so I cannot see there being a different lending strategy between the ETF and the mutual.