US tax amnesty filing

Homeinjapan
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

US tax amnesty filing

Post by Homeinjapan »

Hi all,

I'm a permanent resident in Japan from the US and haven't filed my taxes back home since living here (I haven't made enough for me to potentially get fined, but I'm aware now I was supposed to file anyway). I've been told I need to backfile 3 years as well as submit 6 years of FBARs.
Does anyone know of a reasonable place that can file for amnesty on my behalf? So far I've been quoted 1200-1450 US for the service. I heard I can also file myself for free, but then am worried that my bank account contents could be fined since I have way over the limit to file the FBAR...I've also heard that people who submitted tax docs last summer still haven't received their returns since Covid supposedly had backed things way up at the IRS.

I also have no investments, recently became a freelancer, but have contracts for work around the world, including one new 2021 contract with an agency based in the states.

I'm a bit confused as to where to start with managing my finances/taxes and such as I've hit so many roadblocks over the years. It hasn't been an issue in the past, but I am likely in the next couple of years reach an income where things get complicated, especially if I start investing. If anyone has a recommendation for a financial planner/coach who could help me or a tax accountant (or any other general advice based on the above) I'd greatly appreciate the recommendations.

TIA.
captainspoke
Sensei

Re: US tax amnesty filing

Post by captainspoke »

Not having filed for three years is not particularly egregious (same for FBAR). You just need to work on these in good faith.

There is no fine/penalty if you don't owe anything, and with the FEIE most people don't. Your tax case may have to complication of working remotely for a US company (while here), but it sounds like that just started, so if that's only from 2021 on then no worries for your past returns.

You might also try asking this on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/USExpatTaxes/ (maybe some searching first, some past replies probably deal with this) Most of the answers there seem pretty solid.

It may be a personal quirk, but I'd try doing it before hiring it out. You can still get turbotax for 2020 from amazon US (be careful to get the version that suits your needs).

Yes, the IRS is backlogged. I filed last spring and included a check in the physical mailing. The check was dated March 31st, and it didn't clear my account until July 2nd. Slooowwww.... The turbotax version now seems to say that it can be used to file electronically, but I'll only really believe that when it's wrapped up and done.
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

That $1200-$1400 fee is about what I have heard for an uncomplicated streamlined compliance submission. I agree with captainspoke and would encourage you to give it a try yourself. I don't think you can do it with a single version of Turbotax.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/interna ... ted-states
captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

TokyoWart wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:06 am... I don't think you can do it with a single version of Turbotax. ...
No, definitely not, they are year-specific.

However, with 2020 in hand, I would try to use it as a model for 2019, doing the forms on my own. I don't think there were any significant changes then.

2018 may also be doable this way--I _think_ this was the first year of turmp's tax changes. If so, the 2020 return could be a reasonable start, as a model.

The tax law change was a pretty big change in some ways (eg, personal deduction), so another year back would be more difficult in that 2020 would no longer be a good model.
captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

Noticed this in another place--maybe worth a look:

https://www.reddit.com/r/InternetIsBeau ... taxes_for/
Homeinjapan
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by Homeinjapan »

Thank you all for the helpful info.

I wonder if it’ll be relatively simple after rethinking things.

I’ll post back here with how things go if anything useful comes up.

Thanks again!