Gamestop Discussion

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Bushiman
Veteran

Re: Gamestop Discussion

Post by Bushiman »

Yeah, I'm happy to go long...
I put 5man aside for this experience knowing full well I'll likely lose it all...
Bought another share last night, and I'll set another buy order for another ridiculously low number tonight... Rinse and repeat till that 5man has gone...
This:
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
Established
Veteran

Post by Established »

Bushiman wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:57 am Yeah, I'm happy to go long...
I put 5man aside for this experience knowing full well I'll likely lose it all...
Bought another share last night, and I'll set another buy order for another ridiculously low number tonight... Rinse and repeat till that 5man has gone...
This:
Be very careful with this take. The Volkswagen story was quite different. The short squeeze was triggered by Porche. Porche had a large ownership stake, but the exact amount was unknown at the time. They intended to buy MORE and MORE shares of Volkswagen. Their plan was to take over the company to save it from foreign takeover.

They never intended to unload all their shares or flood the market, only to take some profit from the short squeeze selling limited shares for a huge profit, and then turn around and buy more shares.

Their goal was to buy and hold shares, not to make a profit.

The public perception was the shortage of share was PERMANENT. This is not the case with Gamestop.
futureplanner

Post by futureplanner »

rocket crash while we sleep.

stick to ETFs :lol:

Good learning experience though! (As long as you always just use what you can afford to lose)
seb
Regular

Post by seb »

My bank sent a second or third alert about my stocks going way down (prices in €):

Nice :lol:

I have put 2k out of 90k I have in my French investment account, and despite losing 69% of those 2k, I am still up overall. Power to the ETF!

On February 1st I also put my monthly investment into my world ETF here in Japan, so I am not losing sight of the important.

They say a second wave is still possible on WSB. They also say there was a 2nd admin war over the movie rights... that sub is a complete mess lol.

I have also seen our local ViralRiver-san post his losses on WSB the other day.
MajesticSoup
Regular

Post by MajesticSoup »

Are people still following this saga? It's getting crazier by the day. DFV hearings, suddenly becoming impossible to short GME any further (actual errors about no stock available being displayed, etc).
Viralriver
Veteran

Post by Viralriver »

Yep haha still holding with high losses - but as above, only putting in what I'm 'happy to lose'. Seen way too many people putting in their life savings etc, it's insane. I put in 1 month salary and for me that's something I'm happy to say bye to if I need to, for a good learning experience. Which this has been and will continue to be I think.
Ax6isB
Veteran

Post by Ax6isB »

MajesticSoup wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:32 pm Are people still following this saga? It's getting crazier by the day. DFV hearings, suddenly becoming impossible to short GME any further (actual errors about no stock available being displayed, etc).
Yes, I’m following the RH/Citadel story at this point. It now looks like RH (Robinhood) is paid by Citadel for the orders and Citadel then uses the orders to front run the market and add these orders as momentum to their high frequency trades. Zerohedge has a write up that looks relatively accurate at this point:

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/expos ... to+zero%29

I’m not sure there’s a practical take away here but it’s fascinating the different methods to work in the financial markets.

If RH blows up, is this the end of $0 trades or is that genie out of the bottle?
captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

Ax6isB wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:45 am...
If RH blows up, is this the end of $0 trades or is that genie out of the bottle?
Schwab has had no fee trades for about 15 months now. I don't think it's going back in the bottle.
seb
Regular

Post by seb »

I'm still following but backing off from Wallstreetbets. I don't have the financial litteracy to tell which of their posts are proper explanations or plain conspiracy theory.

I really wonder how much of the movement was really from the individual traders vs institutions riding the wave and making big movements.
seb
Regular

Post by seb »

oh boy, here we go again... My zombie position went green in the after market. I was keeping that line as a warning that ETF > FOMO, but now I am looking at another set of sleepless nights looking at the stock moving hoping to catch the high again...