Credit card - Is gold credit card necessary?

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
dangocurry
Regular

Credit card - Is gold credit card necessary?

Post by dangocurry »

Hey Everyone!

Not really sure talking about credit card in banking is the best place but since I have some questions, I would like to ask them here.

So, I have 3 credit cards now. I want to have some perspective to keep which.
The cards are as below -
1. Prestia Gold credit card(VISA) - https://kakaku.com/card/item.asp?id=008071
2. Rakuten normal card(mastercard) - https://kakaku.com/card/item.asp?id=016001
3. Yamagin VISA classic card - a company issued one

Apart from this, I have Prestia Global pass.

I have been using rakuten mobile and in the process of opening NISA with rakuten. Also, their point system makes is quite enticing to keep it.
My Gold card was my first card in japan and I used it as my everyday card for everything about till 2 months back.
I got my rakuten card as VISA was having some issue with some things here and as a backup. But now I keep using it as my primary card. Usually for groceries, small travel, anyplace where I can use credit card basically.

Is is required to have a Gold card? or are there any benefits of keeping my prestia gold card?
I checked the limit for gold card and it's higher than the normal rakuten card. Is there any way I can get the limit of rakuten card to raise upto 300k? currently it's 100k. Usually the monthly spend on credit card is well under 100k but just to keep a safe boundary. I usually keep the buys to once only(not using the revolving even if it's bigger than 100k). It's only in travel that I may end up spending more than 100k, so any tips or suggestions for increasing the limit on rakuten card? Or is it better to keep my prestia gold?
The only thing is that the fees is 11k for a year if I don't spend minimum 300k on it.

Looking to hear some perspective and any suggestions of some more better way if out there.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Credit card - Is gold credit card necessary?

Post by RetireJapan »

Gold credit cards usually have higher limits, give more points/miles, and have better bundled insurance and lounge access, etc.

If you don't value those things you probably don't need the card.

I have found my credit card issuers have raised my limit regularly, particularly when I used the card a lot near the limit. One time I called up and asked them to increase the limit as I was buying multiple plane tickets and they did so.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:32 am Gold credit cards usually have higher limits, give more points/miles, and have better bundled insurance and lounge access, etc.

I have found my credit card issuers have raised my limit regularly, particularly when I used the card a lot near the limit. One time I called up and asked them to increase the limit as I was buying multiple plane tickets and they did so.
Gold cards tend to be worth it if you and your SO both use one as a primary card. Between the two of you, you can usually earn enough points in a year to make up for the annual cost. (Examples Amazon Gold / Rakuten Premium [Not Rakuten Gold])

The higher limit, travel insurance, and lounge benefits are a part of the attraction of Gold cards. However, those features are not too useful now!
captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:32 am... One time I called up and asked them to increase the limit as I was buying multiple plane tickets and they did so.
I've done the same, I think they said to wait a half hour before then using it. This was a one time thing, maybe safer/better than having a higher ongoing limit.
dangocurry
Regular

Post by dangocurry »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:32 am Gold credit cards usually have higher limits, give more points/miles, and have better bundled insurance and lounge access, etc.

Thank you for your reply! So I can increase my limit on card by asking the company, that's good to know!
dangocurry
Regular

Post by dangocurry »

Kanto wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:54 am

Gold cards tend to be worth it if you and your SO both use one as a primary card. Between the two of you, you can usually earn enough points in a year to make up for the annual cost. (Examples Amazon Gold / Rakuten Premium [Not Rakuten Gold])

The higher limit, travel insurance, and lounge benefits are a part of the attraction of Gold cards. However, those features are not too useful now!
Hi Kanto!
Agreed, if 2 people use it as primary card, then it makes sense. But I just use it as single, so maybe not so lucrative!
Also, I looked into the Rakuten Premium card. The benefits look much nicer than my existing Prestia Gold card.
Currently, on my prestia gold, if I use a minimum of 300k yen credit transaction in a year, the yearly charge is nullified. Is there something similar on Rakuten Premium?
If yes, it certainly makes it interesting candidate!
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

Hi Kanto!
Agreed, if 2 people use it as primary card, then it makes sense. But I just use it as single, so maybe not so lucrative!
Also, I looked into the Rakuten Premium card. The benefits look much nicer than my existing Prestia Gold card.
Currently, on my prestia gold, if I use a minimum of 300k yen credit transaction in a year, the yearly charge is nullified. Is there something similar on Rakuten Premium?
If yes, it certainly makes it interesting candidate!
I have the Prestia Gold card for free (I think) but only really use it as an ATM card. Rakuten just changed their credit card policy. Previously both Rakuten Gold and Premium had the 4x bonus for points on Rakuten but from the end of this March only Premium will have that 4x bonus. If you use Rakuten a lot (I only use if for Furusato Nozei) then I think Premium pays for itself somewhere around 3-400,000 yen.
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

There is a thread on the Rakuten Gold card here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1271

From there premium seems to require 550,000 to be worth it.
dangocurry
Regular

Post by dangocurry »

TokyoWart wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:31 am I have the Prestia Gold card for free (I think) but only really use it as an ATM card. Rakuten just changed their credit card policy. Previously both Rakuten Gold and Premium had the 4x bonus for points on Rakuten but from the end of this March only Premium will have that 4x bonus. If you use Rakuten a lot (I only use if for Furusato Nozei) then I think Premium pays for itself somewhere around 3-400,000 yen.
Wow! I think you might transact more than 300k per year on the Prestia gold card, so it automatically becomes free for the next year. I'll see my calculations and see if the switching to premium Rakuten card is worth it or not!
dangocurry
Regular

Post by dangocurry »

adamu wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:04 am There is a thread on the Rakuten Gold card here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1271

From there premium seems to require 550,000 to be worth it.
Hi Adamu! Thanks for the thread. I'll look into it and also my yearly calculations to see if I can go for premium card from normal card. In that event, I will cancel my gold prestia card.