Gamestop Discussion

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Viralriver
Veteran

Re: Gamestop Discussion

Post by Viralriver »

I'm on 48x AMC @10.92 USD, 10x BB @19.57 USD, 37x NOK @5.37 USD and then 4x GME @293.68.
MajesticSoup
Regular

Post by MajesticSoup »

Anyone wanna speculate on how it will play out? No judging, just discussion and sharing thoughts!

I'll start:

My stance: hella bullish short term (3-5 days)
At $320 the shorters lost another 700,000 stocks to calls this morning - that's an extra 224 million dollars of pressure. Do the math yourself here:
https://www.barchart.com/stocks/quotes/ ... ss=allRows

And manually add up the open interest with strikes 0-300ish. (maybe you can go to 320 cause that's what the market closed at, but I don't know the intricacies so I'm adding up conservatively)

This makes a gamma squeeze on Monday and Tuesday highly likely. We should see HUGE price increases as long as:
1. people do not sell
2. there is no regulation intervention

for 1, we will likely see a sell off, but will the sell off be larger than the shorts covering? doubt it. Price will go up as a result.
for 2, RH and tons of brokerages will probably increase restrictions. This will make it extremely hard to buy, and very easy to sell. It's proof of a liquidity problem. This will at best make movement sideways unless ladder attacks destroy peoples ability to hold--kind of likely actually.

Lastly, the fact that CNBC is going out of their way to spend money to run ads telling people that Melvin closed their shorts is really fishy and makes me want to hold stronger than ever.

Please feel free to critique my stance or provide bearish cases if you want! I'm all ears; I realize I may be biased by WSB sentiment.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I have nothing to contribute to the topic, but I do have mixed feelings about this being quite possibly the most active topic on RetireJapan. Very much not what the forum is supposed to be about :roll:

I do have to admit it is pretty entertaining though. Hope everyone gets out before getting burned!
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Ax6isB
Veteran

Post by Ax6isB »

RetireJapan wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:02 am I have nothing to contribute to the topic, but I do have mixed feelings about this being quite possibly the most active topic on RetireJapan. Very much not what the forum is supposed to be about :roll:

I do have to admit it is pretty entertaining though. Hope everyone gets out before getting burned!
Well if you play it right, its one of many options that allows for easy retirement in Japan :-)

I have to say, I’ve learned a lot through this and the discussion and I value the considerate commentary. I wasn’t aware how short squeezes worked or the risks involved, how the Japanese trading desks are at a slight time zone disadvantage when you’re trading and a few other things. Good stuff!
eyeswideshut
Veteran

Post by eyeswideshut »

RetireJapan wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:02 am I have nothing to contribute to the topic, but I do have mixed feelings about this being quite possibly the most active topic on RetireJapan. Very much not what the forum is supposed to be about :roll:

C'mon Ben, join the fun - rockets to the moon! 🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

I have had to learn an entire new language to comprehend this thread :shock: :D
captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

I'm waiting for someone to offer a short squeeze ETF... :roll:
MajesticSoup
Regular

Post by MajesticSoup »

eyeswideshut wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:19 am

This is exactly how we will go broke ;)

But it’s also why I posted it in General (as opposed to any of the investing boards). This is not an investment play, it’s a poker table.
Ax6isB
Veteran

Post by Ax6isB »

MajesticSoup wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:52 pm
eyeswideshut wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:19 am

This is exactly how we will go broke ;)

But it’s also why I posted it in General (as opposed to any of the investing boards). This is not an investment play, it’s a poker table.
I’ve read a few articles on Zero Hedge and Dow Jones News today suggesting that WSB is moving onto silver (SLV). Another poker table opening up?

This movement is just fascinating. Essentially WSB is a distributed hedge fund with an enormous sum of money.
MajesticSoup
Regular

Post by MajesticSoup »

Ax6isB wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:56 am
I’ve read a few articles on Zero Hedge and Dow Jones News today suggesting that WSB is moving onto silver (SLV). Another poker table opening up?
That is not true AFAIK. Keep in mind that the vast majority of news outlets are going to be paid by hedge funds lately to provide readers with information to lead them away from GME.

SLV, BB, Nokia etc are all side distractions from the main show. AMC might be what WSB moves on to eventually, but market sentiment on GME still exceeds that of AMC (#2 spot) by more than 4x. (Dont have the source at hand atm)

I thought things would die down a bit when buying came to a complete halt but instead people just got mad and bought more GME out of spite. Now people are going out of their way to buy billboards and ads to promote GME haha. I could be wrong but it looks like the movement is just getting started now. WSB members also tripled in the past two weeks.