Gamestop Discussion

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Kanto
Veteran

Re: Gamestop Discussion

Post by Kanto »

OkiBum wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:51 am
Kanto wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:59 am How did everyone do?

My AMC position blew up 400%+ percent -> I removed my invetment+100% and let the rest ride.

My BB position is up 100% -> I removed my investment and let the rest ride.

You might say I have paper mache hands? However, I am playing with the house's money now!

Momentum investing is quite a ride. Imagine someone doing this with their nest egg? :shock:
Are you using a Japanese Broker?

Also you mean BBBY right? BB is the ticker for BlackBerry :lol:
Black Berry, is RIM no longer. It is a software firm mostly now. It has had a massive runup. My shares have gained 100% in the last week. I sold half my position, and kept the remainder in play.

I don't think the company's worth the current share price..

However this recent momentum is insane, so we'll see what happens
OkiBum
Veteran

Post by OkiBum »

adamu wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:42 am This is complete speculation, because I've not actually tried to do this.

I suspect the 受渡日 for stocks is the date they take the money out of your account. So although you can sell the stocks immediately after you bought them, you need to have the funds in your account until the 受渡日. If you sold them for a loss, you only need to keep the balance of the loss amount.

This looks relevant: https://faq.rakuten-sec.co.jp/ifa/faq_d ... id=2111072
I am sorry if I missed the answer to this question.

So lets say I place an order and have it settled within 5 minutes but it takes a few days for it to actually arrive in my account. Does that mean that I cannot sell it until then?
seb
Regular

Post by seb »

I didn't read too much but it's BB all right that has positive outlooks because they turned from device makers to software and hardware parts maker that are critical for the next generation of something. BB is considered by some people on WSB to have really good prospects in the next 2 years, and is actually not over shorted like AMC or GME. However, the fact that WSB talked about it just as the world started looking at their forum for the first time made many people buy at once, and so it's rising faster than it would have organically.

That's my take from trying to follow what's going on. To me it seems WSB main talk is "buy BB with the profits you'll make from GME (and AMC)".

To sum up my beginner interpretation to this mess (please don't think this is accurate):

GME was singled out 1 year ago by r/deepFValue because he thought the company was worth more than $0.5, was over shorted so had a chance for a big squeeze, and later on even got new management etc... Then suddenly WSB (but most likely other big names) started seeing it too and a snowball effect started.

AMC, BBBY etc... are bought based on a simplistic high short sell means short squeeze imminent, and the stocks picked up from the frenzy. Some people are trying to justify that AMC sales will probably pick up this year as people go back to cinema theaters after getting vaccinated.

BB was the topic of interesting analysis by WSB members who think it's a good long position to hold this year and next, and the timing makes it become part of the frenzy.

Disclaimer: Right now I am up about 2% on GME, so it's more LOL than YOLO, and don't take anything I say as true plz. Don't spend what you can't afford to lose.
Viralriver
Veteran

Post by Viralriver »

MajesticSoup wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:42 am I'll probably hold onto BB for well after GME is done as long as people keep hyping it.

For GME, I'm going to try and hold on until next week.
It seems a lot of people are preparing to sell tomorrow (Friday) given that's when a lot of the short orders expire. Interested to see what the market opens at tonight though.
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

Viralriver wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:47 am
MajesticSoup wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:42 am I'll probably hold onto BB for well after GME is done as long as people keep hyping it.

It seems a lot of people are preparing to sell tomorrow (Friday) given that's when a lot of the short orders expire. Interested to see what the market opens at tonight though.
Friday EST not Friday JST FYI. The shorts have about 5 days to finish closing.

Holding through the weekend is pilling risk on risk.
eyeswideshut
Veteran

Post by eyeswideshut »

seb wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:29 am I didn't read too much but it's BB all right that has positive outlooks because they turned from device makers to software and hardware parts maker that are critical for the next generation of something. BB is considered by some people on WSB to have really good prospects in the next 2 years, and is actually not over shorted like AMC or GME. However, the fact that WSB talked about it just as the world started looking at their forum for the first time made many people buy at once, and so it's rising faster than it would have organically.

That's my take from trying to follow what's going on. To me it seems WSB main talk is "buy BB with the profits you'll make from GME (and AMC)".
I hope you are right. BB futures are down right now but I am going to hold for a while longer in the hope that the WSB crowd pile into the trade after GME. Anyway, it is just fun money so if I lose it all it makes no material difference to me.
MajesticSoup
Regular

Post by MajesticSoup »

Kanto wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:20 am
Viralriver wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:47 am

Friday EST not Friday JST FYI. The shorts have about 5 days to finish closing.

Holding through the weekend is pilling risk on risk.
This. It might actually moon on Monday and Tuesday cause of shorts covering but it becomes a game of chicken as the days pass. I think tomorrow is still safe though.

For anyone curious about why GME blew up the way it did:

https://digg.com/video/chamath-palihapi ... top-stocks

It might get removed soon because CNBC has been hunting down this video all day. They also censored it when things got interesting, when it was released this morning.
Viralriver
Veteran

Post by Viralriver »

Yep, I'll probably cash out a fair amount tomorrow (fair amount = 1 or 2 shares lol) and then just see what happens with the final one. I'm not really in it to win anything, but would be nice of course. Just interesting.

Put a little money into BB, NOK and AMC as well.
Rezz
Regular

Post by Rezz »

This whole saga is very interesting, the Reddit is hilarious. I'm intrigued to see how this ends. I placed a limit order through Rakuten for a single share at $350 with some play money, let's see if it gets filled :lol:.
MajesticSoup
Regular

Post by MajesticSoup »

Rezz wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:22 pm This whole saga is very interesting, the Reddit is hilarious. I'm intrigued to see how this ends. I placed a limit order through Rakuten for a single share at $350 with some play money, let's see if it gets filled :lol:.
I know after hours means nothing but it already hit as high as 500. Expect a ton of turbulence today too