NISA Portfolio Suggestions

dangocurry
Regular

NISA Portfolio Suggestions

Post by dangocurry »

Hello Everyone!

Looking for suggestions to load in complete NISA quota of 1.2 million of year.
1. In the forum, I have read suggestion of emaxis slim series a lot. What are other fund suggestions to invest in?
2. I have a rakuten card. I see I can invest using the points that I have or get points if I use Rakuten card to pay. So, can one use Rakuten card to pay for normal NISA payments? I assume there must be some monthly limit for points. So, what's the max limit I can pay using credit card if I want to put complete 1.2 mil in NISA at once?
3. What are the return rates for the funds available in NISA? atleast 8%? Is there some site on which I can see the historical returns data and what the funds are composed off?

I'm 23, non-US, non-JP working person in Japan. Should I go 100% in equities or some percent in bonds? My risk temperament is medium-high. Also, I won't invest more in Japan than the NISA limit of a year, so any better option to maximize returns as such which I don't know?

Thank you!
adamu
Sage

Re: NISA Portfolio Suggestions

Post by adamu »

dangocurry wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:41 am What are the return rates for the funds available in NISA? atleast 8%?

My risk temperament is medium-high.
What are you going to do if you invest 600,000 for the next six months, but at the end of that it's only worth 300,000?
dangocurry
Regular

Post by dangocurry »

adamu wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:46 am
dangocurry wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:41 am What are the return rates for the funds available in NISA? atleast 8%?

What are you going to do if you invest 600,000 for the next six months, but at the end of that it's only worth 300,000?
I see. Then how do you suggest I start putting money in NISA? Given that the market is at all-time high, it's quite possible that it might correct itself and the value decreases. Also, with the risk temperament, I'm not putting it like gambling away, I just want to see what are the possible returns? Maybe I can assume 8-10% return rate on MF?
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

dangocurry wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:27 am

I see. Then how do you suggest I start putting money in NISA? Given that the market is at all-time high, it's quite possible that it might correct itself and the value decreases. Also, with the risk temperament, I'm not putting it like gambling away, I just want to see what are the possible returns? Maybe I can assume 8-10% return rate on MF?
There are no guaranteed returns in the stock market. Government bonds offer virtually risk-free returns when held to maturity, but they also pay little.

8-10%? That is incredibly high. Think 4-5% over the long term for a diverse index-fund.

Do not attempt to time the market. Just put your money in now, and leave it for 30-40 years. The longer your time horizon, the less risk.
dangocurry
Regular

Post by dangocurry »

Kanto wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:15 am

There are no guaranteed returns in the stock market. Government bonds offer virtually risk-free returns when held to maturity, but they also pay little.

8-10%? That is incredibly high. Think 4-5% over the long term for a diverse index-fund.

Do not attempt to time the market. Just put your money in now, and leave it for 30-40 years. The longer your time horizon, the less risk.
Hi Kanto!
Yes, I'm not trying to time the market. So in that case, which funds do you suggest to put the cash in? I have seen the emaxis slim series being recommended here but isn't usually it's advised to not put everything in one fund. So, If there's some site or resource which can help me decide or some previous post which can help me with the diversification of funds, I would appreciate that.
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

dangocurry wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:45 pm

Hi Kanto!
Yes, I'm not trying to time the market. So in that case, which funds do you suggest to put the cash in? I have seen the emaxis slim series being recommended here but isn't usually it's advised to not put everything in one fund. So, If there's some site or resource which can help me decide or some previous post which can help me with the diversification of funds, I would appreciate that.
You are correct for single stocks but not INDEX funds.

Emaxis Slim All Country Tracks the ENTIRE WORLD stock market. A total of 3,000 stocks global stocks.

Vanguard VT / Rakuten Global Fund tracks 8849 stocks.

You cannot get more diverse than these funds.

The basics -> (American centric unfortunately) - https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

In Japanese -> https://shintaro-money.com/emaxis-slim-acwi-ex-japan/

Most people here choose Emaxis Slim all Country over the Vanguard/Rakuten fund as the Emaxis fund has a cheaper trust rate.

However, the Vanguard fund is more diverse.
dangocurry
Regular

Post by dangocurry »

Kanto wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:53 pm
dangocurry wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:45 pm

Hi Kanto!
You are correct for single stocks but not INDEX funds.

Emaxis Slim All Country Tracks the ENTIRE WORLD stock market. A total of 3,000 stocks global stocks.

Vanguard VT / Rakuten Global Fund tracks 8849 stocks.

You cannot get more diverse than these funds.

The basics -> (American centric unfortunately) - https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

In Japanese -> https://shintaro-money.com/emaxis-slim-acwi-ex-japan/

Most people here choose Emaxis Slim all Country over the Vanguard/Rakuten fund as the Emaxis fund has a cheaper trust rate.

However, the Vanguard fund is more diverse.

Hi Kanto!
Thank you for your reply!
I understand that index funds track many individual stocks. Also, as per my previous post on this forum regarding JP vs US, I have decided to stick to JP index funds/MF for the NISA duration as double taxation and extra accounting of that investment is a big hassle, as I realised as I read more about how to invest in US while living in JP. So, entirely sticking to JP funds.

Also as you said, JP funds having cheaper trust rate/expense ratio, I would choose those over US ETFs. So, since Emaxis all country fund is basically tracking 3000 stocks. So do people just stick the entire quota in just Emaxis or also put some in other JP funds? I understand there might be some overlap between the funds.
I have read that in US you can just put in some vanguard funds as such and forget. So in the same sense, can I just stick entire NISA quota in emaxis or should I separate the yearly 1.2m like 25% in one, 50% in one, etc.? In that sense, is there some site which tells about the different index/MF available to invest in Japan and has the historical data for those?

sidenote, can one use credit card(rakuten) to put some part of the quota at once(assuming I have NISA with rakuten)? I mean anyway if this isn't possible I'll transfer the amount but if this is possible, much better for the credit ppl to take it automatically.

I hope I could clearly say what's on my mind, sorry if the meaning isn't clear.