Permanent Resident Visa

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Gareth
Veteran

Re: Permanent Resident Visa

Post by Gareth »

Hi all,

Am just in the process of getting all my documents ready to apply for PR at the beginning of February. I just have a few questions for those who have applied recently. I was rejected for PR 3 years ago. I had lived in Japan for ten years in total but it wasn't consecutive. Now I'm up to ten years consecutive so will be applying again, but I want to make sure I have a stellar application.

How did you word your answer on the application form under "Reasons for applying for Permanent Resident"?

What kind of things did you put in your reason letter 理由書?

Many thanks for any inspiration you can give me.
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

Gareth wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:07 am Hi all,

Am just in the process of getting all my documents ready to apply for PR at the beginning of February. I just have a few questions for those who have applied recently. I was rejected for PR 3 years ago. I had lived in Japan for ten years in total but it wasn't consecutive. Now I'm up to ten years consecutive so will be applying again, but I want to make sure I have a stellar application.

How did you word your answer on the application form under "Reasons for applying for Permanent Resident"?

What kind of things did you put in your reason letter 理由書?

Many thanks for any inspiration you can give me.
Do you have a family and an established life here? If so go with that.

If you are single and looking to get married, buy a house, and settle down go with that.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Gareth wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:07 am What kind of things did you put in your reason letter 理由書?
I think I wrote something like 'I want to live in Japan with my family' or something to that effect.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

How's your Japanese? There are some pretty good blogs by lawyers about what sort of things to write.

For the form field: this field is standard across all visa applications and existed before the riyuusho was required. I think it's superfluous. You can just write "See Enclosed Riyuusho" or something equivalent.

For the essay itself, there are no official guidelines about what to write. Immigration lawyers recommend treating it as your chance to sell yourself. You need to convince the inspector that it's in Japan's interest for you to live here unconditionally - aka even if you quit your job or get divorced. I'm pretty short on time now but if you can't find the Japanese info let me know and I'll try to come back with more details.
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

Thanks for your replies.

I've come across this post that has some good ideas:

https://dnus.jp/articles/154

They suggest a structure in the letter as follows:

■ Greeting
■ Describe the application for permanent residence
■ Briefly describe the process from your arrival in Japan to today
■ Summarize current working and living conditions
■ Describe the reason why you want to obtain permanent residence
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

Apologies if I've had a comparatively easy ride, but I wasn't asked for any reasons for my application beyond the two-lines on the general application form (Q14). I expanded upon this answer a little via a separate statement, and I also expanded upon my answers to current work/income (as my income wasn't solely derived from one source).

This could be a case of regional differences. The MOJ site is quite light on detail regarding the full set of required documents, hiding behind the statement: "For more information on necessary documents, please refer to your regional immigration office or immigration information center."

I'm posting in case people are reading this thread having checked on document requirements at their immigration centre and thinking essay, what essay?

Good luck to all those applying.
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

kuma wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:37 am This could be a case of regional differences.
It's not regional, it depends on your status. The essay is not required for spouse visa holders.
kuma wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:37 am The MOJ site is quite light on detail regarding the full set of required documents, hiding behind the statement: "For more information on necessary documents, please refer to your regional immigration office or immigration information center."
The detailed requirements are listed from the links here, just after the photo dimensions (except for the highly skilled one, which they broke a few months ago and still haven't fixed): http://www.moj.go.jp/ONLINE/IMMIGRATION/16-4.html

Here's an archive of the highly skilled one, just in case anyone needs it before it's fixed: http://web.archive.org/web/202011111920 ... 00131.html
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

adamu wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:20 am I like this one: http://mogi.main.jp/理由書等の作成/永住理由書/
Brilliant, thanks. That is a great resource. Very helpful.
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

adamu wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:57 am
kuma wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:37 am This could be a case of regional differences.
It's not regional, it depends on your status. The essay is not required for spouse visa holders.
kuma wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:37 am The MOJ site is quite light on detail regarding the full set of required documents, hiding behind the statement: "For more information on necessary documents, please refer to your regional immigration office or immigration information center."
The detailed requirements are listed from the links here, just after the photo dimensions (except for the highly skilled one, which they broke a few months ago and still haven't fixed): http://www.moj.go.jp/ONLINE/IMMIGRATION/16-4.html

Here's an archive of the highly skilled one, just in case anyone needs it before it's fixed: http://web.archive.org/web/202011111920 ... 00131.html
As ever, thanks adamu for your excellently-sourced and clearly presented info. I'd been looking at the less comprehensive (and English) source below, and stand corrected: http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetud ... ui/05.html.