Question about NISA and Penny Stocks

kvn

Question about NISA and Penny Stocks

Post by kvn »

Hi everyone, hope all is going well.
I wanted to know if it is possible to open an account with a Japanese broker that uses NISA and allows me to purchase OTC stocks. I currently use Rakuten but there are only a bunch of penny stocks available. So far I managed to open an account with Zacks Trade and it looks like I will be able to purchase these kind of stocks from Japan. However, I don't think I will be able to benefit from the tax exemption that NISA offers. Any information on this would be highly appreciated. :D
Regards.

Edit: Zacks Trade can't be used from Japan. Instead I opened an account at SogoTrade and I successfully transfered my funds using TransferWise (ACH connection). Without the NISA option though.
Last edited by kvn on Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Question about NISA and Penny Stocks

Post by RetireJapan »

Unless the broker you open your NISA account with offers them, you won't be able to buy the stocks in your NISA account.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
kvn

Post by kvn »

I am sorry, I didn't actually ask the question. Do you know which broker offers both NISA and OTC stocks? I wanted to buy this one: HYSR (Sun Hydrogen).
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

kvn wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:49 am I am sorry, I didn't actually ask the question. Do you know which broker offers both NISA and OTC stocks? I wanted to buy this one: HYSR (Sun Hydrogen).
EDIT 2: It seems I was right the first time! No OTC American stocks from Japanese brokers. Just Mothers and JASDAQ.

IBKR is your best be for OTC.
Last edited by Kanto on Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris
Regular

Post by Chris »

kvn wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:25 am Hi everyone, hope all is going well.
So far I managed to open an account with Zacks Trade and it looks like I will be able to purchase these kind of stocks from Japan.
Regards.
I am looking to buy some shares in:

Alpine 4 Technologies Ltd
OTCMKTS: ALPP

Any chance you can check if it's on Zacks Trade for me?

I don't really want to make an account in Zacks Trade just to see if it's there to find it is not.
kvn

Post by kvn »

My account hasn't been approved yet but they most likely have it. TradeStation also does OTC stocks and both brikers have live chats.
mighty58
Veteran

Post by mighty58 »

Just had a quick look, but I can confirm that both HYSR and ALPP are available for purchase within my NISA account on Monex (which uses TradeStation for US stock purchases).
Chris
Regular

Post by Chris »

ahh dammit I don't have a MONEX account.

Annoyingly ALPP is increasing in value so missing my golden opportunity here because been trying to buy shares in them since mid November!

How long does it take to open a MONEX account? Typical Japanese slow motion processing I take it?
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

Can we get a regular thread going on "Interesting penny stocks to watch" or something like that. I presume I'm not the only one interested in this topic...?
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
Chris
Regular

Post by Chris »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:04 am Can we get a regular thread going on "Interesting penny stocks to watch" or something like that. I presume I'm not the only one interested in this topic...?
I would be keen on that. Obviously Penny Stocks have their risks but sometimes just sometimes you stumble across a good one.

On a side not from my previous comment, MONEX only allows Japanese Nationals to open an account with them online which only has a 1 day turn around.

Going to try online though but likely I am going to have to go the snail mail route which means ALPP stock may continue to rise and I miss out further due to Japan's inability to treat tax paying foreign residents the same as nationals.

My bad for not asking the question about Japanese platforms with it back in November, but seriously **OP expresses annoyance with Japan** sometimes for allowing Nationals residing here to open accounts online but not foreigners residing here!

(not sure if bashing Japanese xenophobic policy goes against the rules of this forum. I will happily edit or delete this comment if required. Just naturally pretty frustrated with it right now).