Would I have to pay gift tax?

anonymousB
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Would I have to pay gift tax?

Post by anonymousB »

I am sorry, if this has been asked before but I couldn't find a definite answer yet.

I have been living in Japan for 4 years with a general working visa (no PR, not married) and Japan as my only residency.

Now I could receive a gift from my parents in my home country of about 13 million JPY transferred to my bank account in my home country.

Does that trigger Japanese gift tax?
If so, I would rather postpone that gift until I don't live in Japan anymore...

Or is there an exemption for people who have not been here for more than X amount of years?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Would I have to pay gift tax?

Post by RetireJapan »

I believe gift tax on non-Japan assets only applies to spouse visa/PR holders or people who have been here ten years on working visa, providing you don't bring the money to Japan.

Safest thing is to ask the tax office of course. I have found them to be pretty helpful in the past.

Anyone else?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
anonymousB
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by anonymousB »

Thank you!

I found the table of the tax office. Looks like I would be fine as long as they are "foreign assets".

However, I'll definitely ask at my local tax office to be safe.
Tkydon
Sensei

Post by Tkydon »

If you receive the gift before your 5 year anniversary of arriving in Japan, you are not yet Permanent Resident for Tax Purposes
If you receive the gift in the UK, and do not send the money to Japan, then it will not be subject to Gift Tax.
If you send the money to Japan, or receive the money after your 5 year anniversary of arriving in Japan, whether you send the money to Japan or not, you will be liable for Gift Tax, on the portion of the gift (sum of all gifts in any one Tax Year) that is Over Y1,100,000.
If you were to split the gift across two Tax years, with each portion being under Y1,100,000 (sum of all gifts in any one Tax Year), then you would not be liable for Gift Tax.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.