Getting started with Nisa advise

allThatMoney

Getting started with Nisa advise

Post by allThatMoney »

Hello,

my money has been sitting in my bank account for years now and I finally decided to try investing some with NISA. I just opened my account at Rakuten Securities.

I know very little about investing, don't have a strategy, and am not very motivated to read a lot about it very soon, but anyway I would like to get started to not waste this year's allowance. I'm in my 30s and don't mind some risk but I'm too uninformed to buy particular stocks so I'd rather buy index funds.

I read here that eMaxis slim are a good choice for their low fee. There are so many kinds and I don't have any opinion on which parts of the world to invest in, so I'm thinking of putting the full 1.2M into eMAXIS Slim 全世界株式(オール・カントリー). Would that be strange?

I might spend more time on how to invest next year's allowance, but for now, is that a reasonable thing to do?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Getting started with Nisa advise

Post by RetireJapan »

That's basically what I do. It's a bet that the world economy as a whole will grow over time. Seems a reasonable thesis to me :)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
N00bster
Veteran

Post by N00bster »

Same here. Maybe get a few (world) bonds as well if you want to smooth the curve a bit.

I guess at this stage the most important advice is, make sure to educate yourself so you know what you are doing. In the meantime, the Maxis fund looks reasonable to me, if you know you are not going to panic and sell if things temporarily go south.
StockBeard
Veteran

Post by StockBeard »

This is what's in my wife's NISA:
But I'll echo what the others have been saying: you will need to educate yourself. You won't get away with "not very motivated to read a lot about it very soon" for very long: this will just leave you opened to being preyed on by financial "advisors" who will tell you everything and its opposite to convince you that your current allocation or strategy is not working. "Strangers on the internet told you to do that and you believed them? No wonder you're in trouble now. We'll fix that for you sir, just give us your money".
gaijinkun
Regular

Post by gaijinkun »

Good day everyone,
May I join this discussion? I plan to purchase NISA Index Funds (eMaxis Slim and others) until end of this year (2019). Personally, what do you consider less volatile fund (comparing to others) if there is 2020 recession? And why?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I believe we can't predict recessions, and we can't tell what effect if any a recession might have on the markets, so I don't have an answer to that.

Standard advice is to make a plan you are likely to be comfortable regardless of what happens in the markets.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)